Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A whole Bunch O Questions on old sawn in half SVT Cabs ???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AndyGL, Apr 6, 2002.

1. AndyGL

AndyGL

Nov 20, 2000
    Wellsville, NY
    I found some very old SVT cabs on consignment that have been sawed in half to make two 4x10" cabs, I assume for portability. The guy wants $350 for the pair. The outsides of the cabs are painted black. The grill cloth has the Ampeg logo on one of them and on the other one the cloth has no logo but has dolly wheels on the bottom. I didn't have time to plug a bass in but the speakers "look" ok. Their not ripped anyway. I don't know if I would buy these cabs but it got me to thinking about a bunch O questions:

1. When these cabs are sawn in half what becomes of the ohmage of each one?
    2. If the speaker are no good should they be reconed or replaces and if replaced, with what? Does Ampeg still make speakers for these cabs? If not who does?
    3. They are totally enclosed cabs, how would these cabs sound to a modern 4 x 10"?
    4. What kind of effect if any does sawing these cabs in half have on the original sound?
    5. What was the original sensitivity of these cabs? Does sawing them in half effect that?

Whatayathink?

What about the Head?.... The guy sold it a few days ago.

2. JoelEoM

JoelEoM

Mar 11, 2002
    Lancaster, PA
    as far as i know, you would have 2 8 ohm cabs. please correct me if im wrong, but im pretty sure its 8 32ohm speakers. 32/8 = 4 ohms for an 810, so 32/4 = 8 ohms for a 410. reconing should cost about $50 a speaker, there are some more knowledge posts on here about that too, with some links for companies who do that sort of thing. i also know a guy posted on here awhile ago saying he cut his SVT cab in half, and he said it was the "sweetest sounding 410 he'd ever heard" or something along those lines. perhaps he would be able to help you out with this.

3. I know a couple of guys who have done this. The main thing you need to make sure of is that everything is still tight around the cut. This is really important because these cabs rely on being airtight to work. Now, answers to your questions:

1) 8 Ohms each.

2) The speakers can be reconed. Check Tom Weber, I think he quoted another TBer $40 per driver. You can also get Eminence replacement speakers from Ampeg or straight from Eminence. Dealer price on those is about $40 so they'd probably be $60-75 each. They handle a bit more power than the old ones but sound very much the same.

3) They'll sound tight and punchy, with some of that Ampeg grit. They won't have huge amounts of low end. There's no horn so they won't be very hifi sounding. I think the sealed Ampeg cabs sound great.

4) Not much. Especially if you use them together. The 810 is effectively 4 totally seperate cabinets.

5) If you used both cabs together, the sensitivity would be the same as the original 810. If you used one cab it would be slightly less, because there would be less acoustic coupling (half the drivers).

$350 seems a bit much for a sawn in half 810, though. As for the head: Old SVTs rock! But many of them have been blown up and abused and need some TLC, which can be expensive...... My '76 is in great shape and has never been blown up, and I just spent $350 in maintenance...... But it sounds Diabolical.

4. AndyGL

AndyGL

Nov 20, 2000
    Wellsville, NY
    Thanks for all the good info guy's

5) If you used both cabs together, the sensitivity would be the same as the original 810. If you used one cab it would be slightly less, because there would be less acoustic coupling (half the drivers).

5. Andy asked...

Do you have any ides what actual sensitivity would be...are they efficient?

That cab is a sealed box - it doesn't make use of the speakers' return wave, so no, they're not all that efficient. An SVT810 puts out 100db @ 1 watt @ 1 meter - I looked it up the other day.

But - they sure do sound good ;)

allan