a whole lot of questions that i needed answerd!!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mykeindk, Nov 18, 2002.

1. mykeindk

Nov 18, 2002
    ok first off i am in a punk band and i play a cheap ass squire but dont get me wrong.... i can get down on that cheap pieace of crap... i wanted to know what kind of bass should i get... right now i am trying to decide if i should get

A. Geddy Lee Jazz Bass
    B.American Jazz Bass

which is better.. i played the geddy lee jazz bass and that thing is pretty damn tight and i havent played the american jazz bass..

also i know for sure i am gonna buy the fender bassman400 anyone ever play it?
  2. Can't help too much with the basses question, but IME Fender amps aren't that great at all.
  3. mykeindk

Nov 18, 2002
    oh then fender amps arent good? i played a bassman 200 or i think it was and it sounded alright... what combo would u sugguest.... i would get a stack or something but dont got too much money to spend.
  4. I've only played the MIM Jazz, so I'm guessing the American ouughta be an awesome bass, however, I've just heard about the Geddy Lee's on here a few days ago...

As far as combo's - I've had a great time with the Peavey TNT150 down at the studios, I think that's the name! it has an 18" speaker, and I think it's 150 watts RMS @ 4 ohms - not sure!

I think a lotta people around have a good opinoion of SWR workingman combos (are they even combos?! :eek: :p ) so try 'em out..

Hope that helps a bit.. :)
  5. mykeindk

Nov 18, 2002
    i like that fender bass but i played with the other one and it was really good feel..

hmm well thanks for the help
  6. I think the Fender Bassman series are excellent amps. If you can get a good sound from an amp with all the tone controls set flat, it's a good amp. And you can certainly do that with all the Bassman range. The 400 is a grunter. Go for it.
  7. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    go for an avatar and a used head.
    less than what you'llp ay for the bassman....
  8. erikwhitton

erikwhitton Guest

Sep 20, 2002
    Portland, ME USA
    both of those basses are great players.

i just played a bassman for the first time in a sam ash store - i was surprised at how nice it sounded - but the volume was kept pretty low.

i'm personally not a fan of SWR workingmans's line especially for punk. but if you're going to use a distortion pedal or overdrive pedal a lot you should be all set.

ampeg makes some sweet combos but they can be pricey. i agree that finding a used gear is a good way to go.

9. thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    when i was looking for a new bass about a year and a half ago...i was looking at either an mia jazz or the geddy lee jazz. every geddy lee that i played sounded great. the mia that i wanted was a natural ash body with a maple neck. i played about 8 or 9 different ones before i found the one i wanted. some of them sounded great, but the fact is, no 2 instruments (even of the same specs) are gonna sound and play exactly the same. when i picked up the one i ended up buying, i knew it was it when i picked it up. so...i guess your best option would be to play them. i personally like the string through body option with the mia, even over the badass II on the geddy lee. just my opinion. anyway...good luck.
  10. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I prefer the Geddy. And definitely go for the used-head-and-Avatar rig over the Bassman rig. You can just find so much more for the money after it has been depreciated. Good luck.
  11. mykeindk

Nov 18, 2002
    yeah i thought so the geddy is pretty awesome dude... and yeah i should buy some used stuff.. i don't really care if things were used.... i got acouple accoustics people have given me. well anyways thanks for your help everyone who read and replied. :cool: