1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A whole step down on a 5er!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 95JettaCity, Apr 25, 2006.

1. 95JettaCity

95JettaCity

Feb 13, 2004
    Las Vegas
    I know there's another thread like this... but it's for 1/2 step and I have to go a full step down. I'm auditioning for this local band here in Indy and they play both originals and covers. Well one of the covers, Audioslave's "Gasoline", has open notes played on the B string, which in this tuning would obviously be A. Well my 5er is a MIM Deluxe Jazz and its quality is great for a MIM. Should I just try to get the heaviest gauge strings and hope they don't go limp on me? Raise the action up higher? Or is there anything else I can do? I'm playing Saturday night so any and all suggestions are needed!

Andy

2. I am confused - the lowest note in Gasoline is a B, not an A, IIRC. So why would you need to detune your 5 string?

3. 95JettaCity

95JettaCity

Feb 13, 2004
    Las Vegas
    Sorry I should have said that the band plays drop tuned a whole step on everything. I don't know why, they just do.

4. OK, I get it know, lol. You got two choices. You can tune everything down A-D-G-C-F (every string down 1 step) and get heavier strings. This will work but you'll need to get used to working some real fat strings. Or you can tune A-E-A-D-G (just the low B down 1 step). This way you'll get better tension with lighter strings and your whole bass won't go to noodles, however, you'd need to re-learn in the new drop-d style tuning.

Good luck!

5. Lonnybass

Lonnybass Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2000
    San Diego
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    Be careful not to blow up your cabinets - a lot of speakers aren't designed to go down below 31 Hz!

Lonnybass

6. 95JettaCity

95JettaCity

Feb 13, 2004
    Las Vegas
    Well I'm going to be using my newly acquired Eden 2x15 XLT. The specs on it go down to 40Hz. Which mathematically isn't what I need. And my GK 1x15 only does down to 50Hz, so that's definitely not gonna cut it. Any suggestions other than avoid the open A at all costs!?

7. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Get some heavy tension strings and you should be fine! :)

8. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Unless they play songs which will require playing in open A, why don't you just learn their songs in standard tuning? That's one of the beauties of the 5er, right?

9. 95JettaCity

95JettaCity

Feb 13, 2004
    Las Vegas
    That's the bummer of it all... they do play songs requiring that open A (First post). I guess I'm just gonna have to take it easy when I get down there!

Any suggestions as to what high tension strings to get? I'm not too worried about their sound because I'll only use the 5er for some songs. The others will be played with my down tuned Lakland JO... hehe I'm lovin that sound!:hyper:

10. RockFace

RockFace

Jul 14, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    I currently have my 5 string tuned to ADGCF. i use ernie ball power slinky strings, and they work great. you are just gonna need to spend some time adjusting the action, intonation and neck to compensate. the lack of tension does cause that stuff to go haywire and buzz you to death at first...