1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A Wikipedia for Speed Traps

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by P. Aaron, Apr 21, 2010.

1. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

The National Speed Trap Exchange

It's a website that allows you to post speed traps in your area. Some observations may be bogus because the posting person my be a lousy driver. Most tickets are handed out to motorists doing stupid stuff anyway.

I drive posted speeds in neighborhoods or predominantly residential ares. On the freeway, I always wait for the fastest guy to blow by and I kinda follow them.

MODS: If this thread seems appropriate...no problem.

2. SpamBot

SpamBot

Dec 25, 2008
    St. Paul, MN
    Cool. Taking a look

3. lolz i already know all the speed traps in my area. If you can't out drive a cop through speed or maneuvers, don't speed.

4. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    LOL my county has 11 pages of traps in there. Two helicopters and about a thousand cop cars. I learned the hard way YEARS ago not to speed. :bag:

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    My little town has more speed traps listed than cop cars...

I think this is more of a list of where cops once sat.

6. Disraeli Gears

Disraeli Gears

May 29, 2007
    At the bottom of each post, there's a thing where you can rate it and see if other people agree or disagree about the location being speed trap in case people just go on there and post every time they get pulled over.

7. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    the ONLY one listed in my town is right where the police station is located...hmmm, how freaking convenient! hahaha

8. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    LOL. I checked my hometown, and the town I work. They have a "speed trap" listed saying they "sit in swarms", then have the location of the station.

9. Something I learned years ago. It doesn't matter how fast your cars is or how slick your moves are, you will never be faster than a Motorola.

10. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    The first of two for my town is a suggestion to the police of a road to watch. Looks like someone missed the point.

11. By definition, a speed trap isn't just a place where cops like to sit and clock passing cars with a radar gun. It's a place designed to trick people into a situation where they are speeding even if they don't want to be speeding. Like a short length of highway where the speed limit suddenly drops 10 or 15 MPH, and you have no time to slow down enough after seeing the sign before passing the cop.

12. XtreO

XtreO

Jan 2, 2008
    Norway
    Hm. I and most other Norwegians got that on our GPS. Why'd you need a site for it?

13. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Your GPS tells you where speed traps are?!?! My Magellan can't even tell me where there's a Barnes and Noble.

14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    That's a cheese weenie. Mine has 27 pages, not the county ... just the city.

15. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    There is an app for Android called Trapster that does this. It also tracks red light cameras.

-Mike

16. XtreO

XtreO

Jan 2, 2008
    Norway
    Then again I might misunderstand what a speed trap is defined as :p I think that is more likely, as I can't understand why Americans wouldn't have the same as here.

17. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    Speed traps (static speed cameras) are listed on our local driving maps as well.

If cops set up a trap (like waiting with a radar gun) then sometimes the local traffic news on the radios will use the euphemism "drive safely along [road name]".

I really don't think speed cameras should be out to catch/fine people, just make sure that speed limits are generally adhered to.

18. XtreO

XtreO

Jan 2, 2008
    Norway
    Ah, indeed. Human traps are not listed on the GPS. Only static traps. Then again I've only seen one non-static trap in my life so far :p