1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A winnar is me!!!1

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Dec 8, 2006.

1. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130054555134

Now I've got a bass that I can take with me as carry-on luggage.

Everything I've read about this indicates that it's just a Status bass with a Washburn logo on it, which makes me wonder why it's so cheap. I've played a few Status basses before and they're pretty much uniformly kickass; the four-strings have surprisingly hefty necks, to boot. I can't wait to get this puppy.

2. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    It's got Status electronics, but it's not a graphite neck, IIRC. Should be maple. I almost picked one up locally for a similar price a few months back. Should be lots of fun. Enjoy.

3. I have one of these (currently on loan to a friend). AFAIK, they were MIA by Washburn, who licenced the design from Status. The electronics on some were also from Status, although mine has EMG J's on it. The neck is wood (?maple) not graphite, and the fingerboard is phenolic. Mine seems to move a lot with humidity (requires relatively frequent truss rod tweaks), which I would guess is due to the expansile wood with the non-expansile phenolic.

They are nice basses, although I currently prefer my ATK's (hence the Washburn is on loan).

Have fun with it,
    Steve

4. lbpark

lbpark

Apr 23, 2005
    Mobile, Al.
    So did I...funny... :D

5. Well, even if it's not graphite, it's still a headless neck-through with Status electronics. Good enough for me.

6. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Yep, you did well:smug: ...you'll dig it I think.

Marshall

7. mcdonap

mcdonap

Sep 25, 2001
    These are nice basses, but they really are NOT a Status bass with a Washburn logo. I owned one years ago before I could afford a graphite necked Status. Unfortunately, the pickups, electronics, and hardware are not the same quality as on a "real" Status Graphite bass. I ended up changing them out. Sorry to be so negative, but since you've played Status basses you might be disappointed.

On the plus side: I never had any issues with the neck, and I live in a pretty humid area.
    Looks like you got this one at a pretty nice price. I think you'll like it as a fun bass, and as you mentioned - great for travel.

8. soniq

soniq

Apr 19, 2006
    El Dorado Hills, CA
    Dayum! Nice catch! Congrats.

9. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    I have one of these Washburns and it's quite a nice bass. I also have a Status Series 2000 which is an early version of the current Stealth so I have a reference.

The neck on mine is quite thick front to rear, much more like my Steinberger XL than the S2000 which is thinner and has a flatter rear profile. Mine is stable and has the Status pickups and the hardware is of no lesser quality than my Status which has the same bridge but different headpiece.

All in all a more than decent instrument, better than any Steinberger Spirit (with a body) and for what you paid, excellent value.

Enjoy.

10. Well, the worst-case scenario is that I have to replace the electronics. Pfft.

11. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    I can't see why you would but I'd probably attack the pre first, though there are only a limited number of holes to use so stacked knobs might be in order.

12. mcdonap

mcdonap

Sep 25, 2001
    Peter,

Sorry if I came off too negative. I didn't mean for you to start thinking about modding the bass before you get it. I just didn't want you to be disappointed since you've played Status basses.

In the case of my bass, I replaced the head cap with a piece ordered from Rob Green at Status. I was having some problems with the original while trying to use double ball strings.
    I found the pickups to be microphonic and the pre to be noisy, so I just put in something quieter. (EMG.)

Other than that, it was a beautiful bass. No neck issues with mine. Can't remember the weight, but I don't recall it being particularly heavy. I'd probably still have mine if I didn't eventually get a Series II.

Pat

13. A Series II would be a wonderful thing to have, but for a graduate student, this will definitely do for now. I doubt I'll have to do any mods to it, either.

14. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I love Status basses, but they're not cheap and it would be unfair to directly compare something that has cost you about £195 in our money to a bass like my S2 that cost me £1600 new. :eek:

Washburn make some nice instruments, and I'm pretty sure Rob Green wouldn't let them plaster the Status logo over any old crap. At the price you paid, that bass is an absolute steal - I'm sure that when you get your hands on it all you'll have to worry about is maybe bunging a new set of strings on and you'll be in "hog heaven" as you colonial johnnies say.

Nice score, Peter, enjoy the bass. One thing I can guarantee, it will be light enough to be really comfy and will balance beautifully. Let us know how it is when you get your hands on it.

15. mr sprocket

mr sprocket

Jul 31, 2006
    Dallas
    I have one of the first Washburn "Status" basses. Yes wood body and phenolic fretboard. It may not be a real status but it plays well and sounds good with a nice tight tone.

I have the translucent green but I think the natural looks better. Congrats!

16. motleystew

motleystew

Apr 29, 2006
    Lewisville, TX
    Nice bass! I've always wanted one of those.

17. OK, the bass got here. I diddle around on it for a little and the strings are pretty fresh, I love the neck...and then I plug it in.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

The electronics work, and it's actually got a pretty decent aggressive '80s sound. However, one of the pots appears to be broken--it only passes a signal in certain positions. Also, there's a miniswitch (pickup selector, I'm guessing) that's broken off, so I can't get any more sounds out of it. I'm seriously considering dropping in a Bartolini preamp like I'd contemplated.

In addition to all these woes, the D-string bridge tuner is not working at all. It's gonna need a setup, too.

This pisses me off an awful lot. The seller's definitely getting negative feedback.

18. you'll be thought as a terrorist just like John Entwistle when he brought his Warwick headless onto a plane..Nice buy!

19. I'll bring it on a plane in the future, but I was planning to have it on my trip home to Chicago between the 18th and the 29th. Unfortunately, it will be spending Christmas at my tech's. On the bright side, my tech is Jewish, so it should be ready for me by the 29th. :D