Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A wiring question suited for luthiers

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by rojo412, Feb 1, 2003.

1. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I hope someone knows here...

A bandmate of mine has a Strat that has a HSS config like EMG 85, Dimarzio stacked hum, EMG S. He claims that they were all the same volume until recently. I rewired it and it still has the low volume in the middle.

My question is this: is there something I can do to cut the output of the EMGs or Boost the output of the Dimarzio? Are there capacitors that I could attach at the PU outputs and if so, what values? Or should I just wire this with 2 volumes? Comment!

I ask here because I figure that some of the luthiers and builders were at once repairmen and got stupid problems like this. I personally think my guitarist is crazy, but I figure that I should at least ask.

2. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Is the Dimarzio pickup in the middle low-impedance (active)? I assume the EMG pickups are.

If it is the case that the Dimarzio is a passive (high-impedance) and the EMGs are active, then that will generally give you a mismatch in volume. If not, I think you want resistors and not capacitors. I'm afraid I can't help you with the values you'll need.

3. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I guess another question would be is there a site that has a bunch of different wiring configurations? I am trying to work this out by changing the orientation of the wiring, trying various different methods (doing a V-V-T setup using the 5 way).

Thanks for the reply as well FBB. Resistors!

4. FBB Custom

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Different wiring configurations won't help you if your buddy is mixing passive and active signals. Only a buffer/mixer or swapping out the mismatched pickup will.

Both Stew Mac and EMG have wiring diagrams.

5. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I tried wiring this guitar about 100 different ways... literally. I knew that mixing the active and passive would yield different volume. I always knew that. It's just that he doesn't believe me. I bet a dead battery would even out the problem! That's probably what it was.

The good thing about this is that I now know 100 ways to wire a strat. I wish I could find more info on alternate wiring for a 5 way, a 6 way rotary, 5 way rotary... stuff where I could apply it to bass pickups. I checked Stewmac and quite a few other places that had info, it was mostly the same old, same old.

6. FBB Custom

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Guitar players never listen. ;)

Anyway, EMG pickups won't even work without a battery. My guess is they probably never really were working at the same level.
    There are a handfull of different kinds of bass pickups, and they all have different wiring options. A lot of guitar wiring options translate directly to bass wiring options. Take a look at Bartolini and Seymour Duncan on the web. Just reading their web site is informative on how bass pickups work and what the different designs do.

7. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Cool. I hope this is the most complicated problem I face when dealing with nutty guitar players.