Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A Wishnevsky beats a Conklin....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by aikiwriter, Aug 19, 2003.

1. aikiwriter

aikiwriter

Oct 17, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    ...in the Open Mic Madness at Smith's Olde Bar in Atlanta. Somehow, Lost July was chosen over John Turner's Lord Only to continue to the second round of competition. Lost July features a beautiful Wishnevsky EUB, while Lord Only sports John Turner's incredible seven-string Conklin.

Is this proof of Wishnevsky superiority? Film at 11.

***************Posted for a laugh at John Turner's suggestion. :)*************************

2. what was his suggestion if I may ask

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

That this thread be started, detailing how a Conklin was beat out by a Wishnevsky.

4. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    A Wish beating a Conklin? Here I thought this would be a thread about basses that are good to use as firewood...:D

5. Wolfehollow

Wolfehollow

Jan 21, 2003
    Pensacola, FL
    It was probably the player... not the instrument!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! JT is going to kick my *** this Sat.

[​IMG]

6. when i saw the title, i thought you might have snuck up behind him and beat him over the head with the wish... of course, jt's basses could do some serious damage, the wishes usually have the advantage of pointy things coming off every which way.

7. aikiwriter

aikiwriter

Oct 17, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Not likely! It was more the taste of the judges than anything to do with my playing.

:)

8. aikiwriter

aikiwriter

Oct 17, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    IMHO, the above monster has a lot more pointy edges than mine!

[​IMG]

9. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    :confused:

Lord Only knows!

10. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, lol. that was funny.

those of us who know us and what we do could probably understand why we wouldn't go over pretty well at this kind of competition - our music is not very "populist". coupled with the fact that lost july did very well under hard circumstances - they were the first band and the guitarists had to play on house instruments, as did ours, and none of us were really that surprised.

good luck to you guys this week. :)

11. aikiwriter

aikiwriter

Oct 17, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Thanks! We're playing tonight at 10. Hopefully we'll endure a few more rounds.

12. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    JT,

Man, my only chance to have caught LO live and I missed it... You really gotta put me on 'gig-spam' or something... When is your next gig?

Was Michael Levine (www.michaellevine.net) at this open mic with his solo looping Folk-tronica? I'm curious how he did if either of you cats caught his set....