A Wizzy on top of a Schroeder 410

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by eots, Jan 7, 2006.

1. eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    Both are 4 ohm cabs being pushed by my Yamaha BBT500H (500 watts @ 2 ohms) I haven't REALLY pushed it yet but after turning it up somewhat, noticed that the wizzy speaker appears to be giving it's all.I had one wizzy at home prior to my newest addition and the other one left at the guitarist house where we practice so it's usually on the floor. Maybe I just didn't notice so much movement. The Schroeder isn't even wincing as far as cone movement. The wizzy is rated at 200 watts per the sticker however I've read 250 somewhere.
    Anyway, my question, for those in the know, Just cause I'd like to throw the 12 in the mix and to have all watts available out of the amp ( vs 2 wizzy's).
    Is this an improper match of speakers? It seemed a good match with the 2 wizzys and the yamaha but I'm really liking the new found volume the schroeder is giving me (speaker surface area). There is no distortion or any other clues that something is wrong other than my observation of the wizzy now that it's up where I can see it.
  2. That match doesn't make much sense to me. It has nothing to do with the wizzy being 'worse' or the Schroeder being 'better', or that you would necessarily hurt anything, etc.. It's just that since they are both 4ohms, you are putting the same amount of power into that little 112 as you are into that massive 410. I would think when you turn it up, the Wizzy would be cryin' for help and the Schroeder would hardly be breathing, giving you an unbalanced sound between the two speakers.

Finally, from my understanding, even for amps that are rated as 'safe' down to 2ohms, they run hotter with greater THD, etc. Some manufacturers, like Mesa Boogie, even suggest in their manuals to not run their 2ohm rated heads for a long time at 2ohms under loud conditions. So, 'getting all the power' out of your head at 2ohms might not necessarily get you better sound.
  3. eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    I wasn't originally intending these two to go together. The 410 was the 1st step to up sizing. Actually it was the 2nd, my crest ca-9 hasn't arrived yet. I was just making on observation. It still sounds great though. It should be doing the same thing with just 2 wizzy's I would think but I don't have them both together right now. If , until I get the ca9 and a pre-(I'll try the yam-pre/ca9/410 also) thru the 410, I'd still like to run the Yam/410 but it'd be just the 250 watts. Yet that's still enough for many functions I suppose, especially w/ DI.
    Yes, the Yammy handles 2 ohms just fine. It's one of the new digital switch power supply amps similar to an Acoustic image or Aggie ag500 but the AG will only do 4 ohms. I suppose if the Yamaha were $1500 instead of $600 it would be more popular around these parts. :confused:
  4. That Schroeder 410 is so efficient, I would think that the Yamaha would push it pretty well at 4ohms. That Yamaha head looks interesting, but isn't that the head with the digital modeling, and all that stuff in it... if so, that along with some pretty poor bass gear from Yamaha in the past is probably what's keeping the interest down IMO. I'd enjoy trying one sometime though.

BIGREDSIX Supporting Member

FWIW, I own a bunch of EA gear (including a Wizzy) and have read in several places from such players as Tom Bowlus and Mike Dimin (as well as John Dong himself) that two Wizzys is a killer setup. They are so light and portable, why not try them together? Btw - make sure you stack them one on top of the other for optimum results.
  6. eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    That's what I do when I play out. A result of research here, which gave me g.a.s and the crest ca9 and schro410, also.
    However, I'm against (with) one guitar w/ a Carvin 100watt tube power amp (t100) 412 and another w/ a Marshall mode IV (350watt) 412. After a little more foolin' around this morning, I'm tempted to get a 2nd 410 :hyper:

sent you a pm......
  8. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002

EXACTLY what Ken said.
  9. eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    Who , me? I haven't received one.

...tried again just now. Let me know if you get it. Thanks!
  11. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    This is true! I really love the sound of two Wizzy's driven by my iAMP 800.