1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

a woodworking project (with pics)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by IAmTheDood, Feb 19, 2008.

1. IAmTheDood

IAmTheDood Shake and Bake

Dec 15, 2006
    Waterford, MI
    just wanted to show part 1 of a project i just finished, a 3 wall computer desk in maple .. i milled up and cut up everything ..

100_0743.

100_0744.

100_0745.

i needed 2 stations, i have one that's fixed, and i needed one for my work laptop when i work from home .. :)

2. Matt_W

Matt_W

May 3, 2007
    Leeds, UK
    I would love something like that to work at. At the moment I have two monitors, a printer, and a load of other crap on my desk.

3. Nice layout :)

Simple yet very effective!

4. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    I wanna see those support braces better. They look elegant AND strong enough for an elephant!

And are you tucking any filing cabinets or drawers underneath there?

And a loooong hutch-like shelf above would be ideal for storing CD's and books and stuff.

AAARGH I MISS WOODWORKING AARGH

5. IAmTheDood

Dec 15, 2006
    Waterford, MI
    thanks ..

next steps are going to be base cabinets underneath, hanging wall cabinets up top along with a bookcase :)

6. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    Wait wait wait.... base cabinets... or BASS cabinets??? Hmmmmm? You know you want dual 18's under there....

7. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I don't see any openings for the wiring to pass through. How are you going to plug things in? And how baout some views of the bracing underneath?

8. IAmTheDood

Dec 15, 2006
    Waterford, MI
    i've got to get the hardware for the little wire holes ... not gonna drill them until i get that hardware :)

9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Tight. I made a desk like that for my daughter several years ago. I like projects like that. I usually have one I'm working on. Right now, I am trying to build some cabinets and storage racks in my garage.

-Mike

10. Jiggybass

Jiggybass

Nov 15, 2005
    Sudbury, Canada
    Nice, that looks clean!

11. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Nice. Are you sure it's level? ;)

12. IAmTheDood

Dec 15, 2006
    Waterford, MI
    lol, aside from maki's lackluster skills ..

yes, mine is level .. :) :bag:

13. IAmTheDood

Dec 15, 2006
    Waterford, MI
    lol. :)

base cabinets ... AND a bass cabinet :)

14. IAmTheDood

Dec 15, 2006
    Waterford, MI
  15. MakiSupaStar

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I've got nothing. Your arrogance is actually backed up with skill, while mine is just backed up with a whole of pork and beans. ;)

16. IAmTheDood

Dec 15, 2006
    Waterford, MI
    ehh..

but you've been with a whole bunch more hot asian chicks than i have. :crying:

:cool:

17. I'd like to +1 on better pics of the supports. It really hasn't come up yet...in this thread...but a +1 on any pics of sexy asian chicks Maki has or has not been with would be cool too.

I just checked out the pictures of your shop...I am SO jealous. I don't do nearly enough woodworking...because I don't have the space or setup. My dad and I own a wood flooring business so we have a bit of a mobile workstation and can get small projects done on the side at a job site. But man, would I ever love to have a lathe and jointer.

18. MakiSupaStar

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    There is something manly satisfying about working with wood.

19. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    If I could have a similar workshop, I would totally be building basses in it.

20. IAmTheDood

Dec 15, 2006
    Waterford, MI
    been thinking about dabbling in building basses .. i don't precicely know what i want yet and I love the two that I have .. :)