Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A wrist stretch I found useful

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Velocimaniac, Dec 5, 2002.

1. Velocimaniac

Velocimaniac

Jun 14, 2002
    Alabama
    I've been practicing a lot lately and that didn't bother my wrists quite so much, but I work at a burger place and I'm the burger cook there...so my wrists get a lot of use. Lately they've been hurting so I asked my guitar class teacher if there was anything I could do and he described this to me:

Take your right hand and put it over your left hand's upper half. Gently pull back(slowly) until you begin to feel a little tension then leave it until the tension goes away, and pull back a little more. Then do the same thing with your other hand. He said that it can prevent CTS and tendonitis(sp?)

After using this little exercise, I've found the pain in my wrists to be gone:)

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Which part are you describing when you say "upper half"?

3. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    You need to describe this better, this made no sense to me.... :confused:

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

A good demonstration of why you need a teacher.

A teacher can show you vey useful things in a few minutes that you could never explain in words on a website!! ;)

5. i am pretty sure he means the stretch where you have your palm of the hand you want to stretch pointing away from you and you take the fingers of that hand with the other hand and pull back slowly (whilst keeping the fingers straight)

6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Gee, Bruce...do you advocate the idea of getting a teacher? Your posts on the subject have been so seldom and iffy; I haven't been able to tell :D

7. Velocimaniac

Velocimaniac

Jun 14, 2002
    Alabama
    l0calh05t understood what I was saying, didn't mean to be so ambiguous:oops:

EDIT

diff I mean the part of your fingers near the nails after the middle joint

8. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    A few months ago I started having pain in my wrists to the point I thought I was going to have to quit playing. I did a search here at talkbass and found a thread recommending the stretches on this page.

http://catalog.com/global/wristsol.htm

I have been doing the 3 stretches at the bottom of the page every day and within a month the pain has gradually gone away to the point to where the last couple of weekends I have had no pain at all. Highly recommended :cool: