A WT800B with a 4 or 8 ohm 410xlt?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gomez, Jul 17, 2005.

1. Gomez

Gomez Live from the Shire

Apr 15, 2005
    I'm buying a WT800B in a couple of months and I currently have a 4 ohm D410XLT which I'll probably keep.

Just wondering because bridged into 8 ohms the 800 will give 880 watts and in 4 1100 watts.

Any experiences?
  2. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I ran my wt800B bridged at 4 ohms into a Schroeder 410 last night. Big room...ran at about 3 on the input, and about 5 on the master, tons of headroom! The amp did not get hot, the fan did cycle a couple times. Nice amp, I like it. I think the 4 ohm vs 8 ohm cab question hinges more on "will you need more than one cab?" If you do need two cabs sometimes (I feel like one Schroeder 410 covers my biggest venues quite nicely), then you probably need to consider going 8 ohm so you still have a load the amp likes with two cabs...
  3. Gomez

Gomez Live from the Shire

Apr 15, 2005
    Thanks Chef. Guess you're right. I'm getting the 800 because the fan on my 550 is coming on a lot. Feel like I'm pushing it a little and I like to have something to spare.
  4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    When the amp reaches a certain temperature, the fan is supposed to come on. That's what it's for. It's not really an indicator of whether your amp is being pushed too hard. If the amp's not shutting down on you, it's fine. At rehearsals, my little WT-300 has its fan on about half the time. No big deal. The fan in my WT-800 has gone on many times, particularly on outdoor gigs. The fan in my DB 750 is on ALL the time.

The fan is there to keep the amp within its operating temperature range. That said, go for the WT-800B on general principals. I've justified my GAS with lesser excuses.