A Yamaha "Whoa Doggie" Sale at MF

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LA, Mar 22, 2004.

1. Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    I saw this. That's a pretty wild price. Makes me want to trade my RBX765A in for this.

2. WOW!

The price went down $50 since Friday. :eek:

I'd say this is some deal and won't last long.

3. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Hmm.. I wonder why they're trying so hard to get rid of these things? IIRC there are a few other online shops that are offering these basses at similar prices..

4. I'd guess that this model is just not selling, and if one retailer cuts his price drastically, the others have no choice, unless they want a lot of new old stock sitting in their warehouse 10 years from now.

Remember the Yamaha BB 1500s a few months back?

$1,200 list price, and MF sold out the last of their stock for $199! :eek:

That was one of the craziest price cuts I've ever seen.

I'm tempted to get one myself.

5. Is it possible that Yamaha's switching to a model with a single MM pickup, like a 5-string version of the RBXJM?

Just a wild guess.
  6. LA

Oct 17, 2001
    They debuted the RBX374 and RBX375 at NAMM this winter, and I think the RBX775 is discontinued. I almost got one last fall.
  7. And of course it has to come when I don't have the money but need a 5er...dandy ain't it? How else could this week suck more...Has anyone taken MF up on this deal? ^^
  8. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Its ok though because now you can save up for your MTD Kingston and not be persuaded by this Yammy deal...
  9. Heh...if I can sell the SX I have my friend will lend me $100 to get it, sweet.
  10. hmm... I'm torn. I have been looking to either mod my Schecter Elite 5 (new p/us or EQ) or move it on. Now I see this deal. Would basically be an even deal for what I could sell the Schecter for....

should i do it?

11. you have to be the biggest gear whore with the least experience ive ever seen. thats not a put down, just a statement.
  12. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Ha-you obviously haven't met me, Def. I smoke this kid in gear whoreness.

EDIT-just caught the "least experience". Gotcha.
  13. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Im pretty bad in that area myself. In under 2 years ive owned 5 different basses, currently own 3.
  14. PaulYeah

Mar 1, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    :hyper: I just ordered the RBX775 in black! Let the GAS begin!

Next is a new amp. I'm coveting a Hartke 7000 with a 4.5XL and a 215BXL. Comments?

15. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    About 10 days ago I ordered an RBX775 from zZounds.com as they had the Flat Silver for $319 + 5% ASCAP discount vs. the $349 at MF (They also have a 30-day matching policy, so I'll be calling later to save another 15 bucks).

Let's just say I was so impressed with this bass that I ordered another from MF this evening (Flat Blue, which looks much nicer in person than in photos. The black is almost too black for me, with the knobs, hardware, and headstock "cutaway" all the same - I'm just not that metal anymore :bawl: ) for a fretless conversion... as well as a Tascam BT1 trainer and a nice set of headphones. I'm still in shock that they gave me a substantial credit limit. Thank goodness for a fiancée that doesn't enable. ;)

I'm not sure the 37X's are a directly replacement for 77X's. There's a substantial price difference, and they seem to be much lower-end than the 77X-series (much less body contoring, no monorail bridge). It's a large gap, price and quality-wise, between the 37X and the JM signature that you'd think would be filled in the product line. Perhaps IronSpatula is right about a JM-esque fiver.
  16. Can anyone give a mini review? :)

You guys are getting me interested.

17. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Michael, here you go. I'm sure you can also find your way to the Harmony Central reviews. ;)

I forgot to say something about the phrase "gear whore" going around in this thread;

No one touches Nino-Brown.

No one.

EDit - Hell, Nino takes it to a new level - Gear pimp. All he needs is the hat. :D
  18. Thanks, Scarred2112. :)

I'm still trying to make up my mind.

19. I'm more like the gear "Salvation Army" than whore, but I'm thinking about upgrading from my sweet used Indonesian "Karrera" to a Yamaha.