a

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BrianBassist, Nov 24, 2016.

HELP! Need pro sounding bass at low price

Poll closed Nov 26, 2016.
  1. Need help deciding profesional sounding bass for recording up to $700 range

12 vote(s)
    52.2%
  2. 4 or 5 string?

11 vote(s)
    47.8%
  1. BrianBassist

BrianBassist

Nov 24, 2016
    Hi all, I am new at posting a tread inquiring about bass, so sorry if what I say sounds dumb or redundant.

Appox 30 years experienced bass player. Back my in the olden days I could afford expensive high quality basses such as, Alembic, Rickenbacker, Ernie Ball Music Man Stingray and a Kramer but those days are gone and i can only spring at the $700 tops for a bass. As of right now I am just recording, the only bass I have is an active Tobias Deluxe IV I think I paid $260 at GC. When I purchased the bass I was actually impressed with the sound at such a low price, but now that i have done multiple recordings i am struggling to get the sustain and aggressive out of it, I am recording heavy rock/punk can't really put a name on it something like that? -The only bass I do not want, and no offense its just me, I never liked Fenders.

So I started searching for a new 4 string bass, top choices: Epiphone Thunderbird Classic IV PRO, Ibanez SR500, Schecter Stiletto/Extreme/custom/studio?-4, ESP LTD D-4 Electric

Last edited: Nov 25, 2016
  2. RSBBass

RSBBass

Jun 11, 2011
    NYC
    As much as I can understand wanting a new bass, your problems may be caused by your recording methods or setup. Tobias makes fine basses that are capable growling. For instance, a lot of people put too much compression on bass which can cut the growl.

JGbassman and Dan80sMan like this.
  3. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Used Fender American Standard P or J

gjohnson441496 and Atshen like this.
  4. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Tobias makes good basses but not the one the op owns, it's an outsourced budget model made by Epiphone and the pickups on it are very underwhelming. It's nothing like the Tobias models you might be thinking of. It's just not going to cut it in recording or even a live performance if stock. I owned one myself and while I liked the neck, the sound was pretty bad compared to every other bass I own including other budget models- I ended up trading it.

I would go with a five string and the op has listed some good options. I would personally go with the Ibanez SR505 or above and buy used too as you'll get it for much cheaper given the resale value of Ibanez basses are low. Other basses to recommend are Spectors, Warwick Rockbasses which might be in your price range especially if bought used. I have owned the Yamaha TRBX304 and have tried the 4 string version of the TRBX505- pretty decent basses but personally would opt for an Ibanez instead.

Munjibunga and Kubicki Fan like this.
  5. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Sire V7 or M7. Amazing quality and tone for the price.

6. Fail for not reading original post...

KangusFlot, fretter, matante and 18 others like this.
  7. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I read it. For recording? They are by far the most recorded bass in history.

8. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    You can buy from Guitar Center online- any used instrument from any store in the country shipped to you for an additional $20 or so in shipping. Comes with that 30 day return policy too if there's anything wrong with it.
    I live in a small town myself and I've bought around 20-30 basses from Guitar Center this way. If you find a used bass on that site you want, you can call the local store and have them describe the condition to you before they ship it out. Again, with the return policy, anything wrong with it, you can send it back by mail or return it to your local Guitar Center.

cchorney likes this.
  9. I have an SR 505 and it is a great bass. In fact I toured with one intermittently, and never had issue one with it. They are truly a professional bass, and are packed with many features usually seen on higher end basses. They flat out smoke most of what Fender offers quality wise.

That being said, I'll run down the good and bad per my view after hundreds of hours on the bass.

The bass is lightweight, nimble and the neck is the thinnest most user friendly neck that I have played. Frets are done right, great set up, and the neck is very stable regardless of what you might hear. I was all over the US with one, hot, cold, dry, humid, while riding in a trailer in a bass vault. I only occasionally tweaked the neck with a truss rod adjustment, and certainly no more than the American jazz 5 I carried as well. Or the Spector..

The electronics are ok, with the three band active eq doing its job. The newer ones have a switch to hilight certain mid freqs, and nice for the flexibility. This I feel is the guitars weak point. While I could get a very good sound from the bass, I could never warm up to the treble settings, they were too brittle. I normally just rolled them down and bumped the upper mids.

The import Barts are another sore spot with many, but I like them. They are not true soap bar pickups but split coil, just like a precision. I can get a great sound out of them. I also snicker at those that say they prefer the fender p bass sound, when they are essentially the same pickup. Roll the bass to the neck pickup, lose the highs and roll the mids up, and you can get a nice p bass sound.

The string setting is very close at 16.5 mm, and it's not the best bass to slap on, but you can do it. I'm not a pick player very often, but it seems easier to play with a pick. The bass is easy with fingers, it just takes getting used to. Also the earlier model bridges had some design issues, but that has been addressed. The design is great, you can quickly change the strings without taking them through the back like traditional bridge styles.

The last item I will bring up, is the finish. It's more of a dye and it will come off easily. This is easily fixed by getting some furniture scratch remover dye of the approximate color and dabbing a little on. The mahogany body is soft, so expect dents.

All in all its a great bass, and can be found used for cheap. Don't hesitate to use this bass. I love mine!

Last edited: Nov 24, 2016
    UNICORN BASS, pcake and wintremute like this.
  10. Lejdestad

Lejdestad

Aug 13, 2015
    He doesn't like fenders

11. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    No problem. I have not owned a SR500 but a SR700 which is similar in most respects but has a more durable finish, used they're pretty inexpensive. So basically in terms of Ibanez basses, anything SR500 or above are the models to look for, they have similar jatoba/bubinga necks, Anything below are typically maple. The new ones like the SR655 and the SR755 have Nordstrand pickups, the SR655 goes for around $750 new, under $600 used.

JGbassman likes this.
  12. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    I've been playing for over 30 years myself, I'm not a dedicated Ibanez devotee by any means as I love, appreciate and have owned quite a number of other brands and models of bass guitars during that time, I absolutely love Fender basses but I'm most comfortable on an Ibanez.

13. mcrawfordmusic

mcrawfordmusic

Dec 11, 2010
    Australia
    It sounds like you want the SR505, I'd go for what your gut says!

5 string is a learning curve, but with a bit of time, it will be natural.

On the production side of things, I'd recommend checking out Warren Huart's Produce Like a Pro YouTube channel. He has some great tips for recording bass.

Good luck!

Matt

FangusKlot likes this.
  14. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    Buy an Ibanez SR505 and you're good to go.

FangusKlot likes this.
  15. DavC

DavC

May 17, 2005
    Tallmadge , Ohio
    i'd think your bass is fine ...

a nice warm quiet preamp might help ... i use a RMI Basswitch Classic in the front of my chain ...

my quest for a useful comp pedal led me to a Darkglass Super Symmetry ... another nice warm tubelike unit ... with the much needed Mix/Blend knob ... !

how ever you set stuff up for playing Live ... might not translate well to ' recording ' .. !

16. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Invalid poll. Not only is there no option for carrots but I dont think the OP understands how polls work.

17. cchorney

cchorney Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Meriden, CT
    Your solution may be closer at hand than you realize. Get a set of Rotosound Swing 66 bass strings in stainless not nickel. And take a look at your pickups, if you can raise them closer to the strings you get some extra "bite" to them.

Rotosound RS66LD Long Scale Swing 66 Bass Strings

18. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I'm sorry, I can't get past your avatar...

19. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I was just thinking about carrots... should count as a semi-connected event...

20. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    "... they have similar jatoba/bubinga necks..."

There it is... again... Bubinga.

(1st guy). "Man, is it cold in here, or what?"

(2nd guy). "Usually happens when you introduce your Bubinga to the room... I suggest you close the barn door, before the sheep make their entrance."

JGbassman likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021