Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

aaa! dirty finger dilemma!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by slickhare, Dec 14, 2005.

1. slickhare

slickhare

Feb 2, 2005
    me and my makeshift band are auditioning for a benefit concert on friday. so tomorrow we're gonna rehearse at school but i'm worried about my strings if my hands get dirty. our bathrooms rarely have good soap so i need something with which to clean my dirty paws before thumpin! i was thinkin about hand sanitizer but i heard the alchohol content is bad for strings... i need some help!

2. Charles Shores

Charles Shores Commercial User

Jul 26, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Owner: Guitar Barre
    alcohol bad for strings?

who told you that?

I always clean my strings with alcohol. it evaporates really quickly and dissolves dirt and oil. if anything, it's good for your strings.

if you used the stuff like the directions said, no alcohol would touch the strings because it would evaporate as you are rubbing your hands together anyway.

3. hmm_odd

hmm_odd Guest

Dec 14, 2005
    Yeah, your right, the reason the "alcohol" in the hand sanitizer would be bad is because it isnt pure alcohol, it still has a high water content, and, water on strings isnt a good idea

4. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    ever considered coated strings?

5. ganga

ganga

Jul 14, 2005
    Use the hand sanitizer and a towel to dry your fingers afterwards.

Just for the record, alcohol is good for your strings, water isn't.

6. i carry a bottle of hand sanitizer in my case at all times, but have only used it once. I didnt like how it made my hands feel...sanitized, but not clean...kinda sticky...soap and water is best, if not then warm water is the next best thing IMO.

7. bassisgood

bassisgood

Dec 19, 2005
    Ok you said you have a bathroom with running water right.
    Well bring a bottle of soap and a towel with ya? Then you can wash your hands like a normal person would. You can use any brand you want, I perfer Irish spring in the morning and zest at night :smug:

8. haha, i use liquid softsoap.

i think the watermelon kind is the best :p
    ive brought soap and towels to gigs before, clean hands are a must! This one time my guitarist and i even brought a couple extra bottles of water just in case too!

9. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Carry baby wipes with you. They are cheap and plentiful.

10. AGCurry

AGCurry

Jun 29, 2005
    Kansas City
    A little obsessive, are we?