1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

AAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by aurian4parker, Sep 5, 2008.

1. I got a gig tonight and something is wrong with my cabinet.

It's an Avatar B210 Neo.

for some reason out of the right speaker when I play, I notice kind of a crackling noise. just a bit. kinda sounds like there is a piece of paper in the speaker that is rattling around when I play. And I also noticed a little volume change. It seems just a teeny bit more quiet when I play.

Now here is the thing...I went to jam with my friend a few days ago, and he is a loud drummer.

So...I had to put my volume all the way up. and I also had the limiter on so I didn't think anything would happen. My amp is 350W RMS, and the cab is rated at 500W RMS.

So how could this have happened? and what is wrong? loose wire? blown speaker? cones? what do I do.

Thanks.

2. bump. I really need help with this one guys :(

3. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    How about explaining your issue a bit in the title? Instead of just yelling?

250 watts can blow a 1000 watt speaker in certain conditions.

Take off the grill and lightly press on the speaker. If it makes a scratchy sound, the speaker is shot.

4. Jeff A

Jeff A

Oct 22, 2005
    CT
    Exactly, I thought you farted.

5. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV

Or slightly soiled himself in the process :D :ninja:

6. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

The limiter only protects the amp from an overload. It doesn't protect your speakers.

If the speaker was farting out and you didn't back off on the volume, you probably ruined it. Power usually doesn't ruin speakers; overexcursion does when you push it too hard.

7. jmain

jmain Oo, Uhn't uh, Yes! Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Might've blown that mug.

Had you played it pretty loud before this, or is this the first time?

8. This was the first time.

I opened up the cabinet, took out the speaker I believe to be "blown" and shook it to hear what was making that rattling noise. Sure enough, there was something inside rattling.

So I'm just going to buy another Eminence Deltalite 10" to replace it. Should fix the problem. Correct?

Also, I am looking to buy a new bass cabinet from Avatar soon since they are raising the eminence cabinet prices by 50% :oops: starting next year.

And I was wondering...If my current ohm set up is 350 Watts RMS into 4 ohms, how could I get a new 4 ohm cabinet and keep the same set-up? Do I plug the new cabinet into the second input in the first avatar to daisy chain? Or do I plug the new cabinet into the second speaker input on the back of my amp? I just don't want to go 2ohms. I need to find a way to stay at 4 ohms so I could get the full 350W.

Thanks,
    And sorry for being a douche with the thread title. I feel kinda hated at TB haha. Yea, but I was freaking out in the middle of band practice because once I plugged in the amp it was acting up so I hadn't had time to calm down before I got on TB to ask the question.

BTW, usually during a gig I have the volume at 10 o'clock and I hear myself great even without going through a P.A., however tonight I had to turn up all the way ONCE AGAIN, and STILL didn't hear myself. And we're a funk trio, so not being able to hear the bassist(and when you could it sounded distorted) is not a cool thing.

peace

9. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    Sounds like you might have over excursed that speaker. Usually that ends up in pushing the coil former (with the cone) out past the spider breaking the glue joint and causing a paper flapping sound. This problem almost allways visible. Just remove the speaker and look at it sideways where the cone meets up with the spider.

Generally the fix for this is having the Speaker Reconed. This can be done for around $55.00. If your speaker should still be under warranty I would get it replaced. This usaully takes time though.

Most of the time over ecursion takes place due to rapid transients (peak, clip, spike) that causes the entire motor assembley to move farther than it should thus tearing it apart.

When dealing with plenty of power for your cab and agressive playing style, peaks can usually result in problems. I have a very aggresive fast playing style and I avoid breaking my speakers by using a compressor. Tube Amps also deal with Peaks better.

Could also be just a dust cap coming loose.

Anyway sounds like you allready took a look.

15/20 years ago I just new I had blown a 400 watt EVM 15L Proline because I was getting a similar sound. When I removed the speaker to inspect, it turns out my really agressive Drummer had popped a plastic drum stick tip off a stick and it somehow got lodged behing the rim of the cone of my EV. I removed the thing and put my speaker back in, problem was gone.

Good Luck!

10. I looked on the side and couldn't find anything. It sounds like it's coming from the inside.

Yea, my amp peaks A LOT...because of all of my slaps and such. I don't know how to stop it besides getting a compressor.

Which is my next investment.

Thanks for your help.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You need a second 210. What you're trying to do requires more speaker area. 210's are great but they can only do so much, even if they're rated at a certain wattage. But get a second B210, stack them on end on top of each other, and you'll have you a nice wall of sound going that'll rival an 810.

12. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    But it sounds like he has a 4 ohm 210 already and cannot do 2 ohms. He's going to need two 8 ohms cabs.

Contact Dave at Avatar and tell him what happened. If the speaker is not covered by warranty then he'll at least sell you one. Or better yet, buy two so that you can replace both and make your current cab an 8 ohm cab and then buy another 8 ohm 210 cab. Let Dave know what you're trying to do so that he can send you the replacement speakers with the correct ohms.

13. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
    Have you tried different speaker cables? Different guitar cords?

Bad cables can make it sound like you speakers are blown sometimes.

14. I opened up the cab and it is the speaker. And yea, the first thing I did was try different cables.

So there is no way to get another cab and keep it at 4 ohms? damn :( haha.

I think I may just get a 4x10 in the near future at 4 ohms, and sell my 210 after I replace the speaker.

I can't get a new speaker from Dave, because I bought the Avatar used at poopiear Center

15. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Dave will still sell you a replacement speaker. Give him a call.

16. jmain

jmain Oo, Uhn't uh, Yes! Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    I can understand the thread title. Bad feeling in the pit of your stomach when this happens in the middle of practice. I had it happen on a gig that ended late. So I was tripping all night and weekend until I could get ahold of the shop on Monday afternoon.

There are some threads around on how to check the speaker to see if it's voice coil rub also. I've had a couple with this and others with other problems. If you put a finger or thumb from each hand on each side, on the outside and gently push the cone in like it would actually work and see if you hear anything, then it's voice coil rub and will need a new speaker.

But sounds like you might have already figured it out. Definitely 2 x 210 or a 410 would be a good way to go.

Let us know how it turns out!

17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    He didn't say what he had, but yeah, that's a good point...