Aaaah! The confusion!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Oddman545, Aug 4, 2001.

1. Hey,
    I have a bass (P-Bass) and I was wondering is there a difference between a bass that has one pick-up and 2, or 3? Can you only use one at a time and switch or do you use all all the time???????
  2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

You can use all of them or just one. If you have a "Blend" control, you can mix the sounds of them in varying amounts - some treble from the bridge pickup, some deep bass from the neck pickup, for example.
  3. Oh...Cool...
    I was just curious
  4. I tend to use both of them, but everynow and again i find i shift it to the back pick up. weird. All depends on what sound one is after.

5. On my EDC705, the blender is like 60 / 40 to the neck-pickup :)
  6. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Different basses have different controls. People usually check out a lot of different setups and find what works for them best. A lot of lpeople like the simplicity of the one pickup P-bass. One volume, one tone - simple.

In basses with 2 pickups, the pickup near the bridge is usually a little thinner sounding and has more treble. The one near the neck is deeper and has more bass. Sometimes theres a volume control for each pickup (as on a Jazz bass), sometimes there's one volume control and a blend control so you can mix the 2 picups together. The same is true with tone controls - there may be one tone control for both pickups, one for each pickup - OR a bass and treble control. Basses also sometimes have midrange knobs, and various other switches and stuff but it starts getting complicated.

3 pickup basses can have anything going on - I think it's different for each one. I have a dan electro with 3 pickups and it a has dial that gives you different picup configurations, ie: all 3, bridge and middle, neck and bridge, etc. It has one volume, and one tone control. I guess it's as simple as you can get for 3 puckups. Oh yeah, and it has a switch if you want to go quickly to all 3.

Hope that answers your question.
  7. Cool...
    I didn't know that. I saw a few basses with quite a few pick-ups so I was curious.

8. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

It can get out of hand, like Bootsy's Space Bass -

There's more magnet under those strings than a dang MRI chamber!
  9. FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    oddman.. since you seem new to this, it might be helpful to note that even though a P-bass has two seperate pieces under the strings, that's just one pickup split into 2 seperate coils.
  10. Bootsy rules !

yeah baby yeah.. groove is in the hearth :)