1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Aaaah! The confusion!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Oddman545, Aug 4, 2001.

1. Hey,
    I have a bass (P-Bass) and I was wondering is there a difference between a bass that has one pick-up and 2, or 3? Can you only use one at a time and switch or do you use all all the time???????

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

You can use all of them or just one. If you have a "Blend" control, you can mix the sounds of them in varying amounts - some treble from the bridge pickup, some deep bass from the neck pickup, for example.

3. Oh...Cool...
    I was just curious

4. I tend to use both of them, but everynow and again i find i shift it to the back pick up. weird. All depends on what sound one is after.

;)
    Merls

5. On my EDC705, the blender is like 60 / 40 to the neck-pickup :)

6. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Different basses have different controls. People usually check out a lot of different setups and find what works for them best. A lot of lpeople like the simplicity of the one pickup P-bass. One volume, one tone - simple.

In basses with 2 pickups, the pickup near the bridge is usually a little thinner sounding and has more treble. The one near the neck is deeper and has more bass. Sometimes theres a volume control for each pickup (as on a Jazz bass), sometimes there's one volume control and a blend control so you can mix the 2 picups together. The same is true with tone controls - there may be one tone control for both pickups, one for each pickup - OR a bass and treble control. Basses also sometimes have midrange knobs, and various other switches and stuff but it starts getting complicated.

3 pickup basses can have anything going on - I think it's different for each one. I have a dan electro with 3 pickups and it a has dial that gives you different picup configurations, ie: all 3, bridge and middle, neck and bridge, etc. It has one volume, and one tone control. I guess it's as simple as you can get for 3 puckups. Oh yeah, and it has a switch if you want to go quickly to all 3.

Hope that answers your question.

7. Cool...
    I didn't know that. I saw a few basses with quite a few pick-ups so I was curious.

Thanx!

8. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

It can get out of hand, like Bootsy's Space Bass -

[​IMG]

There's more magnet under those strings than a dang MRI chamber!

9. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    oddman.. since you seem new to this, it might be helpful to note that even though a P-bass has two seperate pieces under the strings, that's just one pickup split into 2 seperate coils.

10. ok....cool :cool:

11. Bootsy rules !

yeah baby yeah.. groove is in the hearth :)