1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Aaaarghh! My DREAM BASS!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Muddslide, Sep 13, 2008.

1. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
  2. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    Even with the EMG's?

Still got 2 kidneys?

3. That is insane how much they are asking for an almost 80's Fender:eek:

4. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I don't mean to sound snide, but I really don't get it. I own a '73 Pbass that I bought new for about $330, and I can't fathom why a Fender Precision would be worth that much money. In all seriousness, what explains the price? The age? The paint job?
    :bag:

5. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    Ha!

Yeah, I'd probably swap the EMG with a '62 RI or something...

6. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    I agree I think the price of this and most other vintage basses is overblown.

I owned a few 60s Fenders that I bought in the early 80s and I don't think I spent more than $600 on any one of them.

Still...I really like this bass.

7. envika

envika

Nov 27, 2007
    Bronx, NY
    check it out, looks like the tone knob is a stack knob...that ain't all-original!

8. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    Yeah, I noticed that. It also doesn't seem to come with the original pup and definitely not an OHSC.

I think it's well overpriced, but I still want it. Bad.

I really believe '09 will be the "Year of Muddslide's Antigua-Finished P-Bass Build."

I'm just bummed Warmoth doesn't do nitro finishes.

9. Seriously dude, you could build a killer bass for about 1/4 the price of that one. Nitro, although authentic, wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. Of course you could get the P body, send it out to Wilkins for a Nitro finish, and then piece it together for a lot cheaper than that bass.

10. shatterd

shatterd

Feb 24, 2008
    Do they really play and sound more than TWICE as good as a new American P Bass?????????????????

11. I think every fender bass is overpriced, old as new. Buy copies. Sounds better and plays better.
    BTW now I know the finish on my next fender copy.

12. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    40-something yuppies. :mad:

:)

13. Toronto Bassist

Toronto Bassist

Jan 9, 2008
    Toronto
    1978 is certainly not "vintage". And yeah, agreeing with other sentiments here...it might be pretty, but there are much better axes for the money.

14. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    Well, in car terms, it's a classic. It's 30 years old. As far as I recall, in 1994, 1964 Fenders (30 years old then) were considered vintage. But so much of that kind of terminology is just collector hype.

I agree. I just really love antigua and don't see it too often.

15. pbd

pbd Commercial User

Jul 17, 2003
    Metro Detroit
    owner Procables N Sound
    its too much money and they may be other things out there that are better but its still cool! Its nice to look.
    Todd :)

16. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    I don't get it, but I understand your gas. How about this to tide you over...

http://www.pittsburghguitars.com/collantigua.html

17. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    As usual, people reply as players, not understanding the fact that this bass has 'collectors' value that outweighs how it plays or sounds. There are very few Antigua instruments in the world. They didn't make many, they didn't sell many and there are fewer these days in good shape. Thus, they're rare, much rarer than a "new" P-bass.

18. Should be an unlined fretless to command such a price.

19. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    :scowl: Don't get me started on collectors; they're the same folks who buy perfectly good handplanes at rediculous prices -driving up the prices for everyone else in the process - and then put 'em on a shelf, never to be used again! ;)

20. bh2

bh2

Jun 16, 2008
    Oxford, UK
    It's way overpriced... move on.