aaah bugger(no swearing tsk tsk)

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by phunky345, Jan 2, 2002.

1. phunky345

Jun 20, 2000
    Missoula, MT
    I have a question about removing stripped screws that are, well, too screwed (pun intended) to remove. I was just applying the string tree to my homemade p-bass, and the cheap-ass screw stripped out before I got it all the way in. But it's too far into the string tree to reach with needle-nosers. Any recommendations? I tried hammering in a straight screwdriver, as well as an allen wrench. I guess I could cut the screw and put the tree in a new hole close by. This really sucks, and I almost had the same thing happen with my tuners. I'm gonna go buy some good screws!
  2. Next time, drill a pilot hole for the screw first.
  3. phunky345

Jun 20, 2000
    Missoula, MT
    Yeah, tomorrow I'm borrowing my boss's drill. I hope he has small enough drill bits. I cannot for the life of me get the string tree off! Maybe i'll just buy a new neck! Just kidding.
  4. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    this seems drastic... but saw the tree off and get the screw out with that pair of needle nosers. id rather do that than have an extra hole in one of my basses. sorry, i probally didnt help at all.
    :edit: you could try drilling straight into the screw with a good drill bit. that could act as a pilot hole.
  5. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    You could get one of them Craftsman doo-dads Bob Vila's been hawkin' - click
  6. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Like Donne says... pilot hole. Also, you may wanna rub the threads over a bar of soap before screwing it in. Acts as a lubricant and gets the screw in lots easier. Parafin works better yet, but some folks don't have that laying around.

As far as getting it out, I either use my Dremel tool to cut a slot for a flat head driver, or cut the screw off as far from the wood as I can, then do the 'Plier Shuffle'...

Good luck,
  7. phunky345

Jun 20, 2000
    Missoula, MT
    Well, I ended up getting it out with a hammered-in allen wrench. Poor allen wrench! I thought the screw was small enough to not need a pilot hole, but I was wrong. Now I need a new screw!
    Thanks for all the advice!
    Kyle a.k.a. tool idiot.