Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

AAAHHHHHHHH 6 strings for me???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dadodetres, Jan 13, 2005.

1. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    someone effered for mi jazz bazz fmt which im selling/trading a warwick corvette 6 st!!!

i never played a 6st! and never though ill play one! but this can be a chance to experiment! and i have another 77 jazz so ill have a standard fender, and a 6 warwick.....

what do you thinck? ill get used to 6 strings?
    i have big hands, but hate those baseball bat warwick necks... is the 6 string warwick a mountrocity big neck bass?

also i have a big rig with a 1x18, so ill think i can handle the low B! :bassist:

2. I liked it. The neck was thicker front-to-back & narrower than I like, but it played very well. It had a very 'Old-School-Fender', if you'll pardon the overused expression, tone. It balanced better than any of the dozen or so Warwicks I've gone through, but it weighed, I kid you not, 12 pounds.

3. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    mmn.... thats what i was talking about..... it may be TOO thick.....

4. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    If you like a slim neck from front to back (as I do), I don't think you'll dig a Warwick too much. I think they sound nice and are made well, but I just could not get used to that neck. I have a Cirrus 6 and it's perfect for me. Fast and comfy neck.

5. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY

i friend of mine has a corvette4 which has a very slim jazzbass-like neck, is this that ocassionally one comes out being like this?

6. Thick & narrow is the complete opposite of what I like- my Fender J 5 feels thick to me. That being said, the Corvette played very nicely. I sold it to help pay for a custom super-wide-ultra-flat-neck Stambaugh 6. So, I like 6 strings(the Warwick was my 2nd; the Stambaugh -3rd) & wish I could have kept the 'vette, though you may differ.

7. My first Warwick was a Thumb bolt-on 4- it had a pretty slim neck- their 5 & 6 string basses are, IMO, 'baseball bats'. Another point is Wenge vs Ovangkol. Many will tell you there's little or no difference, or that it's subjective, but I've never been impressed w/the Ovangkol ones.

8. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY

mmn..... that is what i was fearing off..... appart for having the baseball bat curse, im not used to 6st necks, fo it would be a BIG difference

9. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Well, try it for yourself if you can. I, for one, like my Corvette 6.
    The neck at the body joint gets squarish and a bit thick, bit its not so bad up to the 15th fret.

10. Let me be clear- on paper, the Corvette went against my 'preferences', but actually playing it- well I really dug it. A very easy playing 6, & I probably miss it more than the 2 Ken Smiths I let go. So, Dado, as Frank says- play it if you can.

11. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    the proble is that i cant play it, cause im in uruguay, and the corvette owner lives in argetina, so ill have to got trade it if im interested.....

12. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    i think ill say yes to the trade!

if i dont like it, ill have more chance to sell the warwick anyway!

and i think i can get used to the big neck, nothing that you cant fix with practise

13. I used to own a Warwick Corvette 6-string. I don't think the neck was too thick. It felt really natural for me coming from an Ibanez SR-886 which has a relatively thin neck.

You should be happy with the Corvette. It's a nice bass. I only sold mine because I bought a Hanewinckel 7-string which I ended up playing exclusively.

- Dave

14. I just remembered- I got MY Corvette in a trade, sight unseen. One more time: I was very pleased, wish I still had it. Tell us how it goes, Dado.