Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Stangg, Jun 12, 2001.

1. Stangg

Stangg Guest

Last night, i had a gig, and everything was going fine. The sound tech, also a bad attempt at a bass player, asked if he could jam on my bass, and i said ok. He played his usual show-off stuff(smells like teen spirit with the timing different each note, a mistake every other) and i noticed he plucked the strings really hard. i mean, REALLY hard! I told him, use a lighter touch, it's an old bass. He said ok and went back to his playing.:rolleyes:
    I come back later, and there he is, bent over on the floor, a little white thing between his fingers, and an "uh-oh" look on his face. It turns out, he was plucking so hard, a chunk of the nut snapped off at the E string.
    So he went home and got his bass, which i used. It was a short scale, with roundwounds (i use flats), and a body shape that made it extremely uncomfortable. I could barely play on that thing!
    (quiet mumbles of frustration)
    but, my bass is ok now, superglue did it, and a new nut's in the mail.

just needed to whine for a bit.
  2. Well unfortunately we all learn by our mistakes. Although i usually keep an eye on my bass if someone offers to play it.

It was suggested that the singer in my band use my bass and i play guitar instead. I instantly said no as i lurv my bass, and second the singers technique on guitar is shocking! All clunky and straight handed.

Anyways thats my whine, anyone ever been insulted by suggesting i play guitar instead because "i am a really good musician who could play guitar really well too"???

hmm F*&^% that!

3. *ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    uhm ... i was once asked to play drums instead of bass ... :(
  4. Well, I've been offered to play guitar in another band, which I gladly accepted.
    Why? I just love playing music. Chords on my guitar, or groovin' on my bass, it's all music, so it's all good. :D

Well, that and I'm the only guitarist that's friends with the rest of the band AND can play decently on guitar. :)
  5. Bass-A-Nova

Bass-A-Nova Guest

Nov 2, 2000
    ...Actually Stangg - you made my day. Thought this kind of B.S. only happens to me. I guess everyone within 50 yards of a stage thinks that they can play bass. It sucks.............
  6. LiL BaSS DuDe

LiL BaSS DuDe Guest

May 15, 2001
    NO ONE touches my baby!

Unless they are helping me tune the bridge or truss... Which I ain't very good at :)
  7. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Never hand out your bass unless you are 5 ft away from it! :)
  8. LimpChunk9

May 8, 2001
    Bronx, NY
    I feel your a certain extent anyway.

Someone once asked me if they could use by bass and I said "OK." I never left the room, but he did because he had to tune up and other junk. Anyway, when I got home that night, I saw a scratch/chip thing going on right at the bottom of my bass, right next to the part where you hook the strap on. Anyway, a week later or something, I realised the dude left a really long cord in my bag so I kept it--for revenge of course.
  9. bumpcity

May 12, 2001
    I had this totally blocked out of my mind...One time I left my bass leaning up on a wall, and this guitar player guy (who was kind of an airhead anyway) knocked it over. It was my Zon, my baby...and the neck developed a nasty crack on the back of the neck, a u-shape by the nut. I was afraid it was only gonna keep getting worse. Man I was P****D OFF! I had to send it back to Zon, Joe was nice enough to replace the whole neck free of charge, but they had it for 3 months, which is a LONG time to have to borrow someone elses. That sucked. I just ran into the guy the other day outside of a rehersal studio...funny how you block out painful memories like that anyway, just think Stangg, it could always be worse ;)
  10. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Yeah bumpcity, same thing happened to me, almost. Except they just took a little chunk out of the fretboard behind the first fret! Must've been a pretty impressive fall, since I can slam the basses neck into a metal pole and scratch the POLE!
  11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    bump and Angus ~

I need to go to Urgent Care right now to get my tongue bandaged from biting it so hard. What in the HELL were you guys thinking? You leaned your basses against a wall? I am SOOOO sorry to have to say it, but anyone who does that deserves a big honking NICK in the most visible part of their bass. For the love of God.

There, I feel better now.

Oh, and Stangg~

Never let anyone play your bass who has been playing for less than 25 years.
  12. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    No one...and I mean...absolutely NO ONE, who at least values their fingers....touches my bass. It just simply is NOT allowed....;)
  13. How the heck did you figure this out, and what were you thinking when you tried it?!
  14. lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    An eye for an eye...;)
  15. Stangg

Stangg Guest

well, guess i gotta throw it away now. :p
    no one's gonna be touching Ozzie for a while now:)
  16. i allow people i know closely to play with my bass, but i absolutely forbid them to slap it. it sounds like the bass is in pain when a guitarist tries his clumsy hand at slapping, and i can't stand it.
  17. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    YES!!! In the name of all that's holy never let the guitarist slap the bass!! I have the same situation. They think excessive force is all that's required and consequently sound like crap. I feel bad for my bass and take it back instantly.
  18. Other people playing my bass?
    I allow it, but there's an understanding that if they damage it, they're paying for all repairs or replacements.

So...whenever anyone touches my bass, they always make sure they're extra-careful with it. They'd hate to have to explain to their parents WHY they need that extra $10,000 for this month's allowance. :p
  19. alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    Exactly. I let my one drummer friend play only my crappy bass because he always picks it up then starts to whail on it, like it had just insulted his mom. He has no idea what he is doing.

Now my guitarist friend I let him play any of my basses because he is smart and realizes he can't slap a bass for sh*t and he takes it easy.
  20. I find that friends like to walk up, while I'm playing, and pluck a string. And when they do, they PLUCK the string. I always mute it with my left hand so they don't make an abnoxious sound. Guitarists, unless they have a genuine interest in playing bass, usually don't know how to lightly touch the bass strings. Dynamics...