1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

AAARGH! I quit!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Bryan316, Dec 27, 2006.

1. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    [​IMG]

Forget it. I'm just ordering this up. This is exactly what I want. DAAAAAAMN IIIIIIIIT! I coulda gone on living in complete ignorance, without seeing this perfect finish. There's no way in Hell I'm gonna get a finish like that.

I YIELD TO YOUR GREATNESS MICHAEL TOBIAS!!!

2. while I agree that it's a very beautiful finish, it is fairly simple to apply. he uses dye directly on the wood and mixes the yellow and red in several shades to achieve the transition. Not difficult at all. Practice on scrap and you'll see.

3. eleonn

eleonn

Aug 24, 2006
    Lima - Perú
    There is a saying in Peru which says: "La experiencia hace al maestro" ...not sure how I should translate this :( ...but the meaning is that you have practice a lot!!!

4. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    You what really sucks?

The more I dig.... the more gems I find! Time to look at Ritter basses...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At what point does a man say... "Yup, I've thought of every possible conception. I'm done."

??????? Other-worldly.... and this is wood. This is being done, with CHUNKS OF TREES.

Outstanding. Humbling.

5. tribal3140

tribal3140 Banned

Nov 9, 2004
    near detroit...uh
    brian this is what I was talking about today
    the tiger eye or late lounge
    yellow on sanded back dark red
    my okon
    & above doing that last one with the macc ebony would be cool! and fairly easy

Attached Files:

6. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    Insane.

IIIN..... SAAAAANE.

If that bass looks as good in person as I'd expect an internet picture to hide, I'm not coming over!! You'll have to aim a shotgun at my head the whole time I'm there!!!!

Man oh man... it just feeds me so many more ideas.... and I can't do them all with one bass.

I must make three. Where's that credit card....

7. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

"Practice makes perfect"

8. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    Oh trust me... I'll be practicing... daaaamn right I'll be practicing... 3-4 times more after I even feel like I got it right! I might as well just get a whole 1/8" veneer and slice it up into 4 pieces. I think that'll be the smartest way to go.

9. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    Just remember that a great finish is all in the sanding. Make the wood nice, thoroughly sand lacquer to 1500, polish liberally, and voila.....mirror....LMAO

10. eleonn

eleonn

Aug 24, 2006
    Lima - Perú
    Merci beaucoup monsieur!

11. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Hey Todd, very nice! what's the fretboard on that one?

12. tribal3140

tribal3140 Banned

Nov 9, 2004
    near detroit...uh
    its just african, but not rubbed with black.
    just gabon black with streaks

13. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    OK. It looks blue and green swirled in the pic / on my monitor. I thought maybe there was some funky dying going on.

14. The examples you've shown are not Jens Ritter's first tries. They probably weren't even his 100th tries at finishes like that. However, the natural finish basses are all pretty much standard high gloss finishes - whatever their base composition. The black might well be also but it's hard to tell when it comes to solid finishes like that. Hell, that could be Teflon for all I know. I do know that the guys above are right - practice, practice, practice and smooth, smooth, smooth. The mirror gold is one of several products that are commercially available now but are very, very expensive (over $150 pint!) and usually require specialized application techniques and sometimes equipment. It wouldn't surprise me to hear that one was done by a contractor specializing in those types of top coats.

The Tobias effect can be had in any number of over-the-counter and all lines of professional products. If you want a certain look, there's probably something that can give it to you nowadays.