Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aahhhh, Oklahoma! Where the roads are paved with ...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Munjibunga, Sep 7, 2004.

1. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    ... armadillos.

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Hey come to Texas, where you'll find our roads paved with a much wider variety of wildlife, including armadillo!

brad cook

3. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Is it an "insult" to call someone from Oklahoma an "Okie"? Ie in "The Grapes of Wrath" it was an insult, but then in Skynards "One more from the Road" he calls his guitarist an Okie. Is the expression still used today?

4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I don't think so...I mean I'm from Texas and I've heard that word used a lot but never as an insult. Also Merle Haggard sings the song where he refers to himself as "An Okie from Muskogee."

brad cook

5. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    I drove from Clarksville, Arkansas to Flagstaff, Arizona yesterday and, trust me, I saw carnage I couldn't begin to identify. So I went all the way through OK, TX panhandle, NM and into AZ. I was home in Groom Lake by 1:30 p.m. today. And yes, I did all the driving.

6. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    You'd be a Citreon or Peugot owner wouldn't you?

7. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Ish. No, a Toyota Sequoia. Ahhhhh, so! (Although this Japanese car was made in Indiana, a notoriously Republican state.) eek. It was 80 mph in the dark all the way from Gallup to Flagstaff.

8. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    BTW, all the Okies I was hanging out with call themselves Okies, but that might be the same kind of deal as white people calling black people "niggaz." The Okies came over to Arkansas to hang out with all the Arkies. And that one California Buddhist. Man, was I in the Bible belt, or what?

9. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I just wasnt sure because in The Grapes of Wrath, Tom Joad gets very offended when people call him an Okie. Obviously times change :)

10. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Well, some people take pride in being called a redneck...

11. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Driving in Oklahoma will suck the soul out of you. Miles Davis drove through there on tour and came out a white man.

12. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I hear he's tending a bar in missouri now.

13. Blacks call themselves niggaz, too.

At least a lot of rappers do.

*NB - I don't mean to offend anyone here on TB by saying that, either.*

14. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    A while back there was this show on VH-1, pop-up video or something, where you have the clip and there are comments/funny details/etc going on.
    Now there was this old Clash video, Rocking the Casbah, if I remember right. There's that scene where and armadillo runs in a big crowd of people watching it. It said something like this
    That animal there is an armadillo.
    Those people were curios to see this little animal.
    Although Texas is its natural habitat, they havent seen an armadillo - at least not one alive...
    Armadillo accounts for 90% of roadkill in Texas...

I think its funny and tragic and ironic at once... :meh:
    :D :( :rolleyes: <- like this :D

15. I think what he meant was it seems like it's OK for black people to refer to themselves in such fashion, but not for a white person. So, all the people from Oklahoma referring to themselves as "Okies" isn't derrogatory, but if you, as an Australian, were to refer to an Oklahoman as an "Okie" that might be insulting.

16. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    stephdawe04 is an Australian? I had no idea.

brad cook

17. Actually I have no idea. I just chose a place on the other side of the world.

18. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Oh ok...because I was certain she was from Mars.

brad cook

19. Other side of the world, other planet... you know... :D

20. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Let me help all of you out a little bit. I've lived in Oklahoma City for about 5 years now, and I can tell you with absolute certainty that there are indeed such people as you speak of, who dub themselves "OKIES". This is not a derogatory term but does indicate a peculiar breed of person. Sometimes we all joke about being Okies, even though most of us come from other climes (i'm from Sarasota Florida), but we usually all know the difference.
    For the record, we are not in the bible belt up down here, but are in fact the belt buckle of the same belt.
    Thank you. Feel free to ask me more questions pertaining to our wonderful, armadillo-carcass strewn state.