Aahhhh! So tempting!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fleabass89, Jun 19, 2001.

1. I have a little more than $200, and I'm saving up for an amp (Genz Benz), it's $650. On samash.com I can get a DeArmond Pilot plus 5-string for $160! I know I'm saving for an amp, but this is a big opportunity I hate to pass up...Damn. I get about $200 a year anyway, I might as well go for it.... Im not sure, what do you think? My concience is having a civil war.
  2. FunkSlapRumblefish

FunkSlapRumblefish Guest

May 23, 2000
    Charlotte, NC
    What's your current amp situation? If all you have is a little amp with an 8" speaker and 10 watts (or something along those lines), then I'd suggest to do some extra work to make more money and go for the Genz-Benz! But if you feel your amp is decent for the time being, maybe you should get the bass. I recently was in the same situation, saving for an amp, when a Modulus Jazz bass crossed my path, but I decided to go for the amp... which now I'm glad I did b/c I'm very pleased with my Stingray! Plus a new rig can really brighten your sounds!
  3. I have a Polytone 135W, I think it's a guitar amp. Hey, don't kill me!
  4. FunkSlapRumblefish

FunkSlapRumblefish Guest

May 23, 2000
    Charlotte, NC
    sorry 'bout that, just got a little carried away. I know it's hard to wait and save up for something, but if you do, you'll probably be glad you did. However, that does seem like a pretty good deal... I hope I'm not just making this harder with all the "if's", just do what you feel like doing and you'll be happy!
  5. The guitar amp SHOULD work unless you crank it. Before you get the bass, try it at the local music store first. If you like it, go for it.
  6. alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    Your entire bass system is only as good as its weakest link. If your current bass plays well and is adequate, save up for the amp. If this good deal is out there today, it will come up again at a later date.

You need a bass amp that will do the job at a gig. IMO, your current amp system is to say the least, less than desirable.

Best Wishes,

7. Yes, it is less than desirable... I crank it up to 6 or 7 and it's just fine. Anyway, my dad somehow fixed it so the fuse would blow before the speaker blew up...I'm not sure how, though. The reason I'm thinking about getting the bass is because it's going to be a long time before I get $650. I'm 13, and I can't get a job yet. The only times I get money are birthdays and holidays. Plus $160 is one helluva deal.