Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

AAHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhh ...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Munjibunga, Jan 11, 2001.

1. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    At last. My kidneys are recuperating, and my Lakland 55-94 fretless is here. I played it at practice tonight, and it is definitely fabulous. Ebony neck, teal quilt top.

OK, tone. Comparing it to my Pedulla ThunderBolt 5 fretless, the Pedulla starts with lots of mid and mwah, and you reel it in to taste. The Lakland is more mellow to start, and you crank mid for mwah. I set the mid dip switch to 700, but I think I'm going to try 850. The Pedulla has a more pervasive characteristic tone, while the Lakland can be varied quite widely.

Fit and finish: Lakland, second to none. Pedulla, second to Lakland. The color of the Lak is more blue than I expected, but just beautiful. With the quilt underneath, it looks like an ice-cold cascading waterfall high in the Sierra.

It came yesterday, a day early, so I had a chance to futz around with it here for a while. I compared it to the Pedulla, and the sounds are pretty different, possibly due to the strings. The Lakland has flats on it (Osborns by GHS? Herm?), and the Pedulla has Thomastik Jazz Flats on it. It's starting to look like I may have to keep the Pedulla so I don't lose my options.

Questions?

2. waiting for pics. congrads, sorry to hear your going to have to keep the pedulla :D

3. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Thanks. I'm working on pics. Maybe in a day or two.

4. Congrats, Munji! Hey, you oughta try a set of Elixirs on that puppy. That's what I have on mine, and they are MUCH more harmonically rich than those flats, and they don't tear up the fingerboard. I really like them, and they last forever.

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Does this mean you will stop winding people up in the Amps forum now? ;)

6. ka-tet

ka-tet

May 2, 2000
    I'm not trying to start anything so please don't take this as if I'm trying to be a jerk but it didn't seem from your post that you were as happy with the Lak as you had hoped to be. It's been my experience that the Lak fretless basses don't quite have the mwah factor as most others. This is neither good or bad it just depends on your preference.

7. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    ka-tet -

No offense taken. I can see where you would get that impression, but if I were to keep only one of the two, it definitely would be the Lakland. The range of tones is more versatile, if slightly tamer than the Pedulla. I may take michaeln's advice and try som Elixers on it. I really think the strings make a difference. On the other hand, the Lakland sat in the mix very nicely on the Bonnie Raitt blues stuff we played last night. It's a little easier to control. Definitely need both.

8. Laker

Laker

Mar 23, 2000
    Munjibunga, I'm glad to see you finally got your fretless Lakland. I haven't used mine on a gig yet as its the first fretless I've owned in over 10 years so I'm spending a lot of practice time to work a little on my ear and muscle memory.

I'm curious when not using Lakland strings if these other companies strings are long enough to use for stringing through the body and if they have a taper core B string.

9. The Elixirs don't string through the body, nor do they have a tapered B, but nonetheless, they sound awesome.

10. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    This may be a bit off the subject but I just got back from a drive up to Seattle. Of course I had to stop at BassNW. I specifically wanted to give a Spector US bolt-on fretless 5 a test drive. They had just gotten it the last time I was up there.

Now the reason for my reply was that Chad (a SUPER guy and part owner) said that if he were buying another fretless for himself it would be the Lakland 4-stringer that they had just gotten in used. He said that it had exactly what he wanted in a fretless. It was beautiful and I ignored it since I'm not buying anymore 4 stringer since Mr. MunjiB said that 4 stringers were "uke" basses. I got the feeling that Chad was going to keep that Lakland for himself. That was a pretty darn good endorsement considering that they aren't a Lakland dealer.

Now the highlight of the day, and I DIDN'T touch it, was the used Sadowsky 4 string. I tried to ignore it completely but Chad just had to do a little demo of the preamp in it. That damn thing sounded un-freekin' believable. It was meticulous and it was just beautiful. It just dripped class BUT it was a 4 string. If it had been a fiver I may have had to pawn my right arm. I would have missed that arm, too.

11. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Now, is Chad dimpled, hanging, or pregnant? That said, I'm glad you're off the four strings. I'm still wondering whether I should have gotten the Lakland Hollowbody 4-string ... it was the same price as my fretless 5. Oh, forget I said anything.