1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Aargh keyboardist

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by swelltrain, Apr 26, 2010.

1. swelltrain

swelltrain

Mar 3, 2010
    Just a rant...

The keyboardist knows all the right notes to play.
    And he plays them.
    All of them.

All the time. Bridge, verse, chorus, outro. Full two handed chords, runs, fills, etc. Absolutely no nuance. Yuck.

2. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Hate that. I got rid of one just like that for that reason. And he was difficult to work with, but if he had actually had a pair of ears to go along with the hands we would have kept him anyway.

3. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Many KB player think their Kieth Emerson or Rick Wakeman. Very annoying (And those guys knew when to lay back). Like a guitar player who won't stop PLAYING or a drummer who does fills all the time... ICK!

4. I recently started jamming w/a very capable AND very accommodating key guy. I'll try to appreciate him more.

5. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    My band thought about a keyboard player for about a second. I told them that if they hire a keyboard player they can hire another bassist while they are at it. You know they would stick him on my side of the stage............................ and that ain't happen'n.

6. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    I call those guys "Mr. 20 Fingers."

7. TheXym

TheXym

Oct 19, 2006
    As a keyboardist turned bassist - try talking with him. Explain how he's both handcuffing you as a bassist and creating sewage-grade sludge in the low-end. Compliment on high string patches he uses that actually fit the sonic mix when he stays up high. Refer to the sticky thread in this forum about working with a keyboardist, there is some great advice. If it fails these are your options:

1) Handcuff his hands together.
    2) Break the left hand in multiple places
    3) Go into the utility menu of his keyboard in the global settings and disable triggering of all MIDI numbers below 64. Nothing below middle C will sound. Alternately, if he's not a techie with his gear, just disable local control (if he's only using one board) and nothing will sound period.
    4). High pass filter on the keyboard signal cutting everything below 220 Hz (that will give him A below middle C and above)
    5). Bribe the sound guy to give him a huge level in his monitor, but kill the mains (they had to do this with a keyboard player who was less than good with her vocals with a church band I was once in).

Good luck

8. Mo'Phat

Mo'Phat Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2003
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Solution: Put a mute switch on his DI.

Or you can try to roll with it. Change up what you do and work with him. Tell him that it would be awesome of you took the harmony of the root and he played the bass note. Or slap all over his drone.

Many keyboardists are piano players that don't like the sound of just one hand playing. It also looks dumb when a keyboardist is just plunking with his right hand.

Maybe it's the sound he's using that messes things up. Don't most keyboards allow you to change the tone of the lower register? Help him find a sound that isn't church organ or bass guitar. Or have him go lower than you.

9. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Record your rehearsals/gigs. He's probably stepping on the guitar as well. Get the band together to listen and go from there.

Turn off your volume from the bass at rehearsal and see if anyone notices. Then discuss.