aargh...Make the noise stop!!!!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by oversoul, Sep 25, 2005.

1. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Is just unbearable, Lisbon (our capital, where I work) gets noisier by the day, I'm sick and tired of train horns, rush hour traffic noise, or the ranting lady behind me on the bus :scowl:
    I was recently offered a zen micro too, and needless to say I even avoid to use it at those times because it would just help to fry my ears even more, those stock earbuds don't block outer sound at all, so I was thinking of going the bigger buck step and getting noise cancelling earbuds, two models that jumped on me were the Shure e2c and the sony mdr-nc11 with active cancelling :meh:
    Has anyone been using this type of earbuds? One thing I've noticed is that some users of active buds complain of an everpresent hiss when the circuit is on... :confused:
  2. oversoul

Feb 16, 2004
  3. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    move to the country :)

Seriously, I know what you are talking about, and it sickens me too. Too bad I can't help you.

Free bump btw ;)
  4. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Seriously. Sounds like the country is the place for you. Maybe just for a vacation or something.
  5. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Noise cancelling headphones are bad. Avoid them
    IEM (in-ear monitors) are earplugs with speakers, they get good isolation (some even get 18-20 dB isolation). Shure also has the E3, 4, 5; there's also Etymotic Research, and many others.
    look around on www.head-fi.org for reviews and opinions and tricks.

I hate living in a noisy city, too. But I can't move... :(
  6. oversoul

Feb 16, 2004
    I acctually live on the south side of the tagus where things are much quieter, my town is pretty much the suburbs of Lisbon, the thing is I work/study on some of the noisiest traffic areas in Town, plus frequent train stations twice a day, its sickening not to be able to ear a tune after a days work when theres a train honking meters away from you :spit:
    I'm pretty much going for the shure earbuds, they seem ok and I can get them cheaper on the bay.What surprises me more is that if you go inside a store and ask for some kind of protective headphones ppl look at you with that "uuuh, aren't we sensitive" face, :scowl: :rolleyes:
  7. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I'm in NYC, which is probably worse than Lisbon in terms of noise. After suffuring from the same problem as you, I got a pair of Shure e2cs and they do a great job of shutting out most (but not all) external noise. I used to have to turn my iPod all the way up to hear anything - no more. Now I can listen at a reasonable volume, and not have to bear the screeching/rattling of the subway either.

One caveat for the e2cs: they sit pretty far in your ears and must form a good seal in order to get any bass response. Thus, you need to take some time for experimentation and "adjustment" before you get used to them.

BTW, people who look down upon or question the need for hearing protection are freaking idiots. IMO, noise levels are intolerable in most urban environments and need the same kind of regulation that we enforce against smoking, littering etc.
  8. oversoul

Feb 16, 2004
    IMO Fig, yes ppl could wear earplugs, but I also think that some situations are idiotic, like for example the freakin' train drivers honking the train horns within the precise moment that the passengers are siding the front carriage, torwards the exit of the line, I acctually spent several hours once with a hurting feeling in my right ear in one of several times this happened. that combined with enraged drivers that take it down on car horns, vin diesel wannabes using semaphors as race lines....so much noise could be avoided!

then again maybe a silence freak, hmm no wait I listen to meshuggah :p
  9. trog

Nov 8, 2003
    Move out to where I live.

It's the talk of the town if someone sees a car on the road that they don't recognise.