Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

AARGH!! My Epi 310UL is broken! Whats up?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by B String, Dec 30, 2005.

1. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Just took my babied Epi 310UL on a gig last night. Only
    one speaker is working. The other two move sympathetically
    but no sound coming out. Any troubleshooting ideas??
    The box worked fine the last time I used it. Didn't push it
    very much. My AI Focus is fine, as are my cables and bass.
    I love this box and would like to use it for New Years. I
    guess I could still use an Epi 112UL/110UL combo, or the
    210UL/112UL combo if I have to, I just like the 310UL lots.

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

too late to call Epi now for New Years but that probably would have been my first move for useful direction. You can crack it open and seen if there's anything obvious. At least you have alternatives.

3. One of my Epi 1x12's stopped working on a gig and is was the cables from the speaker to the speakon output that were lose.

-Christian

4. OBBM

OBBM

Jan 26, 2005
    Surrey, UK
    I had that same problem with my UL310. Took off the rear plate and found that the push-on spade connectors to the Speakons had dropped off. I tightened them up and it's been fine since.

I emailed Epi to tell them and asked if I could solder them. Would it invalidate the warranty? No reply just a read receipt. Not really good enough. :meh:

5. Zero Cool

Zero Cool

Mar 20, 2005
    Take a pair of pliers and GENTLY squeeze the tangs on the push on spade together. not too much or you will crush it. but just a little bit goes a LONG way to getting a push on to stay put. a little dab of CONTACT CEMENT and i do mean little as applied witha Q-Tip will then keep the tab in place, and still be removable when need be.

Zc

6. B String

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I may have to find time today to open the back of my box.
    You guys do mean the backplate right? or do I take a
    speaker off to do this?

7. OBBM

OBBM

Jan 26, 2005
    Surrey, UK
    The connector panel on the back is all you need to undo. It should drop out and you can check the connections on the back of the Speakons and jacks.

8. B String

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    OK, thats it! You guys are stupid good! Its the TB'ers
    who saved New Years. It was in fact one connector,
    on one of the speakers. Just a little loose and fell off.
    I had to remove the speaker to put it back on. I couldn't
    reach it from the back, but thats fine, it only took a few
    minutes and I'm back in the saddle again cowbuddies.
    Thanks guys!

9. B String

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles

awh mom.....do I HAVE to????
    Good idea, but I'm probably too lazy..... but a good idea.

10. Funny!

I also wrote the Epifani just to tell what was wrong. Never heard from them.

-Christian

11. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

Words to live by right there....that's the 1st thing I do whenever getting some gear that's new to me - vacuum out the inside, check/tighten all hardware and connections... Also, having serial #s recorded somewhere CAN be the difference between getting your stuff back, or not - in the unfortunate event of a theft...

- georgestrings

12. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    When my UL310 arrived, we fired it up and it sounded thin and very small sounding.
    We screwed around using different amps and such and it still sounded weak.
    Then for some reason I thought I should try the battery trick (take a 9v battery, plug in your speaker cable to cab[standard one with 1/4" plug- will not work for obvious reasons with speakons] touch one contact of the battery to the sleeve of the cable and the other contact to the tip, all the speakers should move in or out together and stay there. ONLY TOUCH IT FOR A SECOND- A SLIGHT "BUMP" IF YOU WILL!.
    This shows that all speakers are wired in phase or not. My UL310 had two speakers out of phase. You would think that at those prices quality control would have been a bit better. :meh:

13. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    nice mike...

picked that up from scott? ;) that's a lil' trick i use on my guitar cabs.

and biggie,

glad you got the kinks worked out. but still, i'm a little perturbed by people's comments of slow/non-existant replies to emails, etc. think i'll have a chat w/ the epi gents.

14. OBBM

OBBM

Jan 26, 2005
    Surrey, UK
    I'd appreciate that. I'd have expected some sort of response. Interestingly one of my UK Epi owning friends had a chat with Nick the other day. Should I still go ahead and buy a 502?

15. MikeBass

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Naw, Scott is gay, he wouldn't come up with a use for a battery in that way!!! ;)

16. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    lol,

dont make me post this on the gear page! :smug:

17. MikeBass

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    About once a year I go thru my cabs and tighten down the speaker screws and still, I'm amazed that some come loose! At least one per speaker if not two.

This last time thru I used the "blue" Loctight (262 if I recall, I'll look tomorrow) on the bolts to see if it will help. I'll let you know next year! ;)

Joker-I'll see Scotty tomorrow night and tell him myself!!
    I kept my head shaved for a while this past summer, you should have seen the two sides of the staged flanked by blad, goatee havin' idiots!!! :D

18. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hehe, bald bald?

cause i just shaved my head down, too. not quite skintight, but close enough.

wow, talk about OT... ;)