1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

aawwhhh I was so looking forward to a standard tuned bass!(rant)

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Vacume, Apr 27, 2006.

1. Vacume

Vacume

Jan 11, 2006
    well I play in the jazz band at my school and a metal band but at school i play in standard and in the metal band C (which I hate playing in) and i now have enuf money to buy a new bass and it will be a 5 stringer which will be sweet because now I can just play everything in standerd right?...wrong the 2 guitarists in my metal band just told me there BOTH buying 7 stringed guitars! I didnt even know they had 7 stringed guitars! and of course there still gonna tune down, anywon else ran into a situation like this?

2. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    7 string guitars are usually tuned standard with a low b. Same as with a 5 string bass. You're ok.

Unless they decide to drop to A....which is one of my band's setups.

3. Man, two tuned down 7 string guitars?? And you know they'll be down on that 7th string a LOT too! You may as well leave the band or buy a piccolo!

4. steve21

steve21 Banned

Buy a 5 string and tune it ADGCF# (I think)

They'll be carrying all the bottom range themselves, it seems. :p

5. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    +1

6. ADGCF, as used by a perennial TB favorite who hails from the wastelands of Kern County.

7. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    You don't need to tune down. A B in A floppy beyond recognition. All that will be heard from the mix is some undistinguishable low-end rumble.
    Tell them to listen to bands that don't detune (in fact, that's the majority of pros).

8. Ruddwijk

Ruddwijk

Apr 25, 2006
    the majority of pro metal bands doesnt detune..? depends alot on the style of metal, but in general the guitars are dropped.

i for myself feel a 7 in dropped a would be more than enough, but then again there's bands like meshuggah who does 8 strings, and has one of the best sounds i've heard..

9. lomer

lomer

Mar 20, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    I feel your pain man, my guitarist just loves C tuning and my bass HATES to go any lower than a whole step down, MAYBE a step and a half..... Always find myself tuning up after most songs cos my Yammie just wasnt made to go that low...

It's really annoying cos he's always bitching at me to use the same tuning when generally I don't follow the guitars, I'm a drum man.... plus I know where most of the locations of his open notes are anyways....

F*****G Guitarists!!!!

10. Ruddwijk

Ruddwijk

Apr 25, 2006
    lomer; get a 5-string and have the guitarplayer go down to b!

i used to tune my guitar in drop-c, but dropped it to b. a compromise where i can play the open b on my bass, but still maintain some tension in the guitar.

would love to get a 7-string and drop to a, but first a new bass!

11. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    If you're going to get a 5 string and then drop it to A, I have a few suggestions for you.

Make sure your fiver is a 35" scale. It'll help with the flabbyness. Also, use medium heavy to heavy gauge strings to compensate.

My ESP LTD F255 is tuned to A, and I have NO problems with it whatsoever.

12. fr0me0

fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    man what kind of vocals do you guys have?

13. Another option still is to get an octave pedal and keep your 4 string tuned standard.

14. I played with a band that drop tuned the guitars to D. They wanted me to detune even though I have a 5 string. :rollno: They were way to freaking loud, even at practice. If I'm sticking my head up to my 1500 watt bass amp to see if its on, something is wrong. I quit pronto.

Randy

15. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Another +1

Works quite well in my opinion.

16. Willem

Willem

Dec 26, 2005
    Belgium
    Tell them what Andreas Kisser told Dino Cazeras somewhere the early nineties: 'You DON'T have to tune low to be heavy!'
    Well I know he tunes down to A these days, but you tell me what is best work is :D.

And btw Metallica ..... heavy, Slayer ...... heavy, Pantera ..... heavy. Are they tuned down? NO!

17. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Yeah, it's pretty annoying, isn't it? Man, I'm glad my band seems to think C tuning is low enough, I use a regular 5 string and as we don't really have any high speed riffs, I don't really need an open C.
    Not being able to use open strings also keeps things challenging for me and keeps my fretting hand from becoming lazy, check out this song we recorded a while ago, the bass sound isn't the best but you can still pick it out pretty well:

http://www.mainin.de/sounds/03 Main In - Zwei.mp3 (German lyrics).

While I like D-tuning and Eb tuning on my acoustic or electric guitar, I loathe downtuning on bass, it always seems to mess with your clarity and introduce buzz.

What octave pedal do you use and how do you adjust it? I always had the feeling my lower octave tended to get lost in our band sound when using an octaver.

18. Vacume

Vacume

Jan 11, 2006
    ok but, if i can convince to put their 7 stringers in standerd, will that avoid the "undistinguishable low-end rumble
    ".........and also any tips on convincing them on standerd tuneing their 7 strings? and this might be a dumb question but whats an octave pedal?

19. Tired_Thumb

Tired_Thumb Guest

Funny, I've used a Digitech XBW as an octaver and have competed against a full church organ successfully on a relatively small PA system. Often times, I have to leave the control knob on 6 or otherwise the octave will overpower everything else. Maybe I just have a macho pedal? :confused:

If I played in a metalCORE band right now (I only say that because they number way too many around here and are famous for downtuning with no apparent purpose), I wouldn't hesitate to use that pedal except that most think Fieldy is the benchmark when it comes to bass. :rollno:

20. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Meshuggah has the advantage of extended scale guitars as well - somewhere around 28 inches I believe. Then again, they also tune down to F, so.....

How fast is the material your band is playing? If its slow and groove oriented, the decreased tension shouldn't be a problem. BUT, I imagine if you're doing speed metal it'll sound pretty shoddy.