1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

ABALONE The other white meat!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bassman275, Apr 4, 2006.

1. Hey all,I was wondering if any of my fellow TBer's Dive for Abalone?Season just opened here in California and I am planning to go poss. this weekend:hyper: .How many have ever eaten Abalone?:eyebrow: It's one of my favs.:)Oh yeah I'm gonna spear me a Ling Cod too!!:cool:

2. Whoa...DIVING for it? In NorCal? :eek:

I take it you're sporting a drysuit with a 5mm wetsuit underneath. :p

3. It's called a step in a 7mm bib and a 7mm top thats, 14mm for the upper body!I actually sweat in it while diving.But, yeah the water is COLD!

4. Where does one abalone dive? Does it require SCUBA gear, or do you just need big lungs?

5. I dive in Fort Bragg.Scuba and Hooka gear is strictly prohibited so,yep big lungs!It is only legal North of the Golden Gate.I'm thinking of doing a lobster hunt in So. Cal soon.BTw I used to live @ Venice and Sepulveda I see your in the WEST SIDE!!

6. Neat, I live at Venice/Overland right now, but I'm moving to a house(!) near Venice High School this weekend. I love this part of the city.

Abalone diving sounds like something I would do if I were in much, MUCH better shape--crazy, but not too crazy. :p

7. Nice,Yeah, if You get a chance try it!My other fav. food is @VERSALIS(is that how it's spelled)CUBAN FOOD!But Abalone is better!

8. Versailles. Awesome place, but Cafe Brazil is even better. I will miss those $6.95 "Executive Lunch" combos--a whole chicken breast, beans, rice, salsa, and fried plantains. I have eaten three or four of those a week at times.

9. Abalone - yeah, we get it off the reef at certain times of year - no need to dive, just a screwdriver and a bucket is all you need - walk out until the water is up to your knees. To easy.

BTW - I thought the other white meat was Dolphin?

10. Oh how I miss the food on the west side!:crying:
    Smo,You guys got it too easy down there, isnt it true you can use air and shark cages down there?Also,Dolphin?....I dont eat anything smarter than me!:p

11. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    Never been scuba diving other than a one time lesson but one of my friends in Ketchikan tries to go every year for abalone. All my friends into diving up here have dry suits! ;)

12. Sweet!I'm gonna be @ the Cook inlet this summer!!I can't wait!!!Drysuits would be best but like I said,I sweat while diving so.....

13. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Wow, I forgot all about abalone. Thats pretty much a California thing huh? I never see that offered out here on the east coast. I only ate it once at a restaraunt on the pier in Monterey, CA...but ohhhh man was it good!!

14. Well, I don't know if it's only a California thing but, I do know it is heavily regulated.So, if you were lucky enough find it on the east side it more than likley would be "farmed" abalone.You can bet that the stuff you had in Monterey was the real deal wild stuff,mmmmmmmmm.....goood!

15. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I have not been ab diving in years. I used to go up just below Gualala, a spot then known as Red Barn was the hot spot along with some others down toward Ocean Cove. Ab diving is really dangerous for those who don't know what it's like. You can't use tanks, you have to make sure the ones you take are legal size, free-diving in kelp can be tragic, and the good abs like to hide in dark, hard-to-get places. But, abalone is my favorite shellfish of all time and well worth the effort. Three funny stories:

1. One year, we took a small Zodiac out to the reef instead of individual donuts. The tide started to go out as we were diving. The boat started to get sucked out through a channel in the reef. I had to walk over the reef to snag the anchor line and then tow the boat back over the reef, against the tide, by hand. I stepped into a shallow basin in the top of the reef that was jam-packed with very large spiny sea urchins. It took hours to get all of the visible spines out of my feet and several weeks for the infections to begin to heal.

2. We used to camp all the time at Ocean Cove, a beautiful campground right on the coast. The night before the first dive, one of our friends decided that a large bonfire was needed. Wearing only a pair of shorts, he began rummaging around all of the deadfall areas of the property while it was dark. Most of the wood he found was amid large patches of poison oak (no wonder no one else took that wood!). He was literally covered with the oils. He had no idea he was so covered until he got up the next morning, put on his wetsuit, and went in the water. He came running, yes, running, out of the water after a half hour. Nothing, nothing causes severe irritation than poison oak, salt water, and tight-fitting neoprene. He ballooned like a fugu and spent several days in the hospital getting cortisone and other medications. He was lucky it didn't get in his lungs

3. The last year my group went, I had had too many close calls with kelp tangles and getting wedged in dark holes. I sat on the beach and watched. My friend, Mike, was diving and attracted some sea lions with a badly ironed ab (cracked shells can be a problem since they clamp down on the rocks when disturbed) in his bag. For the next thirty minutes he was bullied by the two very clever animals. They would grab at his catch bag from behind, swim around him just out of reach really fast, and one eventually smacked him in the back of the head with its snout. Very funny, but potentailly dangerous. Sea lions can be quite large and aggressive. And, you should see the sharks up that way!

16. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    Yeech. Sounds fun. I'll stick to skateboarding and tennis.

Oh, and bassman275, if you catch some abalone, I might be interested in buying the shells...

17. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    from the subject line i was hoping this thread would be a comparison of inlaying abalone versus pork into a fretboard.

:bag:

18. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Albalone... like the stuff my inlays are made out of? :confused:

19. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    Yup. They're like clams, and the shells are used to make inlay material.

20. Yeah,Now Thats what I'm talkin about!The funny thing is almost all of these things happen to every diver kelp tangles,uni stings,in fact last season I got punked for My fishbag by some seals!Sea lions and seals are kinda scary but,I know if they are in the water with Me,I feel safe cause, a shark will hopefully eat one of them first!!!:eyebrow: The minute i see them exit the water in droves I get kinda iffy.:eek: Even with all the danger,I still love it!Great stories FOLMIESTER...Thanks!..Oh and Phil Mastro-I have many shells and, a wet saw, I will cut some figured pieces and let you know!