1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Abalone vinyl or adhesive?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by expwhores, Apr 7, 2009.

1. expwhores

expwhores

Apr 7, 2009
    I've been searching and searching (here on the forum and on google) to try and locate abalone vinyl sheets. I didn't think it would be this hard. One search for Carbon Fiber will yield enough to cover a short school bus with the first 10 pages on google.

Does anyone have a source for adhesive abalone sheets? Preferably a single sheet and not a bulk order so I might sample it first.

oh yeah, first post... don't mind that. I'm not big on internet forums but I had to register to inquire on some basses in the classifieds and I figured I'd try my luck with some fellow modders and builders.

2. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    stewmac.com Look for "abalam" sheets. Manmade layered pieces of abalone glued into a sheet. The stuff looks pretty good in person too. I'm sure you already know that it will be exceptionally difficult to find real abalone in "sheets" as oysters are really tiny... :D

3. vbasscustom

vbasscustom

Sep 8, 2008
    yeah, the abalam is really gorgeous when its in the bass too. but its not exactly sticky on the back, what are using it for?

4. expwhores

expwhores

Apr 7, 2009
    I was planning on making (large and ornate) abalone vinyl decals for my bass guitar cases. I have a vinyl cutter and I like stickers. Stickers are awesome, except for when they can't come off. That's exactly why I got into vinyl, it comes off easy when you want it to.

Not actual inlays, as I've found plenty of "veneers".

5. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    So you're looking for vinyl sheets with the pattern of abalone on them? I'm a little confused about your conception of this project... :confused:

6. expwhores

expwhores

Apr 7, 2009
    Yes, and I figured the folks in the builder's section would know a good source

Its not really for any one project. I could cut the vinyl for anything. That's just one example I thought of.

7. expwhores

expwhores

Apr 7, 2009
    So no one knows where to find fake abalone?

Or no one wants to tell me?

8. vbasscustom

vbasscustom

Sep 8, 2008
    well iva actually never seen fake abalone, im sure you can get it. but i dont know where

9. throbgod13

throbgod13

Mar 26, 2005
    Texas
    if i catch your drift.. you want a self-adhesive vinyl abalone print..

first you would need a high resolution digital file of the exact pattern you want.. then take that file to a sign maker/print shop that specializes in car wraps.. then you can pick out the actual thickness of the vinyl for your purposes..

10. xaxxat

xaxxat Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2008