Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Abandoned Advertising schemes

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by KG4MOX, Apr 17, 2003.

1. I was just thinking, when was the last time I saw a commercial for Wrigleys gum saying-"Smoke when you can, chew when you can't"? Just thinking of some more of these are the Noid, and those two cartoon animals that Taco Bell used for about a month.

Any others y'all can think of?

DL

2. [​IMG]

Everybody sing! You know the song!:

Aye, yii, yii, yiiii,
    I am the Frito Bandito.
    I like Frito's Corn Chips,
    I love them I do.
    I want Frito's Corn Chips,
    I'll get them from you.

Aye, yii, yii, yiiii,
    Oh, I am the Frito Bandito.
    Give me Frito Corn chips
    And I'll be your friend.
    The Frito Bandito
    You must not offend.

The Frito Bandito - Stereotypical Mexican bandit (voice of Mel Blanc) with a large brim hat, pot belly and slurred English accent seen in a number of Frito Lay Corn Chip commercials in the late 1960s. In 1969, under pressure from the Mexican Anti-Defamation Committee, who claimed the Frito Bandito character's "sneaky thief" image was damaging to the Mexican-American culture, the executive at Frito Lay were forced to revaluate the Frito Bandito campaign. Soon after, all the Bandito commercials were pulled off the air. A Frito Lay survey, however, indicated that nearly ninety percent of the Hispanic viewing public liked the character (8% did not).

3. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Where's the beef?!

brad cook

4. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I haven't seen the "you're getting a Dell dude" commercials since Steven got busted.

5. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    Strange, I was just thinking of this topic today, sort of. I was in Kentucky Fried chicken, thinking about how a piece of American lexicon was lost when they stopped using buckets. ANd that made me think of the number of form of ads that I really miss.....

The Holiday Inn huge neon signs. They are part of my childhood, and a huge part of the AMerican culture until about 1982. I miss them, they just screamed Americana!

[​IMG]

6. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Ahh yes, I remember that one...

7. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    PG tips chimps, now all they have is some cr*ppy plasterciene ducks and stuff that were brought forward to 'encourage younger people to drink tea'.

8. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN

9. Just thought of a new one. What ever happened to Tony Tiger?

10. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX

11. BassWizard55

BassWizard55 Guest

Dec 21, 2002
    Rome, Ga
    nick na-nick nick na-nick nick nick.....nickelodeon

12. I STILL don't get that picture...

edit: awwwwwwww... now i get it...

13. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

yeah i didn't get it until i worked out what the ad was for...

:D

per KFC, there's always that rumor how it's now KFC because they don't use real chicken anymore, but genetically engineered 'chickens' with no feathers and a whole lot of legs and arms.

but wanting to not be associated with 'fried' is probably a better and more reasonable explaination.

14. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Put a tiger in your tank.[​IMG]

15. tony is still around. I saw a commercial a month or two back i believe...

16. He really got busted? I thought I was just a Joke. Wow im slow.

17. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas

18. JimM

JimM

Jan 13, 2000
    Northern California
    Used to be a cereal,"Rice Krincles",Had an Asian stereotype looking character who pronounced it in "Engrish":"Lice Klincles".That sort of thing used to be much more prevalent in the old days.

I won't argue about whether it was better then,or now since I'm white and right-handed and have no idea of what its like to be on the receiving end of those things.I have been laughed at and made fun of for things other than race,however.