Abe Laboriel ?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by RG, May 27, 2000.

1. RG

May 11, 2000
    central Illinois
    I've been listening to a Clint Black CD called "D'lectrified" recorded unplugged style. The bass playing is rich and tasty. Is this guy a session guy? I just wondered if anyone knew of some other recordings he is on. I think I've heard of him but dont know anything about him.
  2. funkastorious

May 26, 2000
    Mpls, MN.
    Abraham Laboriel is, in deed, a great bass player. Yes, he has a discography a mile long with the roots of R&B.

He also has a great since of music. The dude can play the same note a hindred times different! He also has a VERY weird slap style where he plucks with his fingers and thumb...so there isn't any thunb down motion...it's all up.

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Abe Laboriel has a couple of solo albums out. One's called "Guidum" and it's pretty good. He started on guitar and then switched to bass, which was his major when he graduated from Berklee.

Will C. [​IMG]

You can't hold no groove if you ain't got no pocket!

4. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I watched "Tootsie" on HBO tonight...I think that's Abe playing on Dave Grusin's R&B-ish/Jazzy soundtrack.
  5. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Abe is indeed a bit of a bass god - Guidum is a great album, and his first solo album, Dear Friends is pretty good to. Also worth checking out is his 80s fusion band, Koinonia who did a whole string of really funky albums.

I interviewed Abe for Guitarist magazine, back in February, and it's going to be in the next issue, so look out for that. He's got a duet CD with Pianist Greg Mathieson which should be out fairly soon and is fantastic!

Steve www.steve-lawson.co.uk
  6. Anton

Apr 12, 2000
    Abe Laboriel also plays with gospel singer Ron Kenoly. He plays lots of deadly little solos. I think he is brilliant. [​IMG]
  7. phil_chew

Mar 22, 2000
    Abe Laboriel is a great bass player. He plays mostly jazz and gospel music. I've seen him perform with a gospel band, and his solos are great. He prances about the stage during his solos (despite his girth). The crowd loved his style. He is someone who really enjoys his music.
    I think he plays a 5 string Yamaha and he was a major influence on Nathan East in terms of music as well as gear.
  8. jfsjbb

Aug 29, 2000
    Maybe I'm a little late on this thread, but I have to say that Abraham Laboriel is my favorite bassist.

I have some of the Koinonia records, excellent stuff!!

He has immense chops but he's not a flashy player. I mean, his solos are really jawdropping, but his solid grooves, esp. with drummers Jeff Porcaro (RIP) or Steve Gadd are some of the best things you can hear.

I recommend some Al Jarreau records, like
    - Roof Garden
    - Blue Rondo a la Turk
    - Morning

or some of his records with Dave Grusin, esp. "Mountain Dance"

9. JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    Don't want to date myself too much, but Abe was one of the "first call" bassists in the LA scene back in the late 70's--early 80's. Seems like every other album (thats those big black thingies your parents had) had him credited. He is indeed a pleasure to watch; I've never seen anyone enjoy himself on stage as much! I believe the "Guidom" CD features his son on drums as well.
  10. great bass player, and if you ever see an interview with him he seems like a truly nice guy
  11. Abe was Lee Ritenour's bass player for many recordings before he went wave, he also played on Larry Carlton's first record. He was also in a supergroup called Friendship and I was lucky to see that band several times at the Baked Potato in LA. My favorite recordings of Abe's playing are Joe Sample's 'Carmel' and Lee Ritenour's 'Captain's Journey' and Larry Carlton's 1st solo album. He was also the bass players for the cues on CHIPs and several other TV shows from that time period.
  12. hogani

Jul 3, 2000
    Austin, TX
    His son, AL jr. is a great drummer, btw. Berklee grad, played with Jonantha Brook, Seal and most recently Meshell Ndege Ocello!

13. Hogani,

Did you ever get the opportunity to catch him with Bruce Bartlett (Baron Browne on bass)Tuesdays at Ryles?

14. hogani

Jul 3, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yes, I did see him with BB, and, also with MNO last year. I forgot about MNO. I went to Ryles with Tony and Todd. What a nice guy.

BTW, have you been to MNO's web site? The video for If That's Your Boyfriend kills me.

Take care.