1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Abe Laboriel

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by gumbynotpokey, Feb 24, 2013.

1. I've seen Abraham Laboriel mentioned in various threads over time, but never a thread about him per se. Searched and didn't see one either.

Let's talk about Abe's approach to bass.

For my ears he's an unusually smart and effective bass player. (I definitely am not trolling or wanting some crazy stuff about he's the best ever, or sucks, or whatever). When I hear other players it seems easier to nail down what they're up to overall as an approach. Not so for me with Abe. I'd love for us to discuss his musicianship, approach to the instrument, techniques, ways of playing within and interpreting a piece, etc, etc etc. It would be great for a non-professional like me to grow a bit through a discussion like this. I know there are plenty of more advanced folks on here. On the less technical side, any comments about his playing overall, rather than only dissection and the little picture?

From an overall perspective, a very high percentage of what he does sounds so "right." And he's quite accomplished to say the least.

Ok, there it is. Let's talk about Abe.

2. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

Oct 9, 2011
    Singapore
    he is awesome... love his technique, very unique as he is from classical guitar background

3. astrobass63

astrobass63

Feb 24, 2013
    He is the one that got me interested into bass playing,at the time the band I was playing with bass player had a instructional video of his and after that I wanted to switch to bass! He is a big influence on me, I love seeing him play and watch the joy & pleasure he brings on stage...truly one of the greats!!!

Abraham-Laboriel.

4. gr8bassplayer

gr8bassplayer

Feb 12, 2013
    Nebraska
    I just found out about this incredible man through a YouTube comment. It seems like he is a supporting player more than anything, but he has his own unique way of being there while not calling too much attention to himself. It is incredible how his parts fit perfectly with the music.