ABG body wood tones

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by slombovia, Sep 10, 2003.

1. slombovia

Jul 15, 2003
    I am a determined follower of Jesus Christ and am a Mormon.
    I am considering getting a 5-string ABG (unless someone knows of a 6-string ABG under $1KUS). All the models I am considering have solid spruce tops, mahogany necks, and rosewood fingerboards. My intention is the use TI acousticore strings which I love.

The main difference in the models is one with solid rosewood back, one with solid mahogany back, and one with laminated mahogany back.

I have spoken with some acoustic guitar players and gotten varying responses as far as the tone of these woods goes. Plus, they have no idea how that will sound in an acoustic bass guitar.

So what do you guys think? I am guessing the mahogany will be a little smoother and more mid-centered and the rosewood would be a bit more articulate, with a little more bass and possibly highs, too. Some have said rosewood is louder which is good but others have told me they only think it is brighter and thus perceived as louder.
    I am leaning towards the rosewood. Because the TI nylon core strings are so mid-focused in their tone, I suspect the bassiest back wood would be best.

I have not ruled out the laminated mahogany back with the solid spruce top though. I have a theory that the LESS resonant on the back the more energy will project out the front so this might be good.

All opinions appreciated!

Tom H.
  2. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    FWIW, rosewood is almost always considered an upgrade over mahogany for backs and sides in acoustic guitar making, *all else being equal*. The finest acoustics are far more likely to use rosewood than mahogany.

That said, all else is not always equal: a mahogany guitar from a master will almost invariably be better than a rosewood guitar from a mediocre luthier.

I would get the rosewood, unless I stumbled across good reason to believe that mahogany would be better for this application.