Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ABG Owners: Fingerstyle or Pick?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by HeavyDuty, Apr 26, 2002.

1. Always fingerstyle

8 vote(s)
    29.6%
  2. Always with a pick

3 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. Some from column A, some from column B

11 vote(s)
    40.7%
  4. Always with a carrot

5 vote(s)
    18.5%
  1. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Well?

I'm not a pick user, but may have to become one with my Tacoma for volume reasons. Fingerstyle is nice and mellow, but may not keep up with a raucously played 12 string guitar.

2. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I play a Tacoma 5 string, and I find that finger style is loud enough to play with 2 acoustics.

I like the bite I get when I use a pic, and it makes it easier since I dont have a suitible place to rest my thumb for playing fingerstyle.

I chose a little of A, alittle of B.

Peace
    Nick

3. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Nick, have you dried resting/hooking your thumb in the sound hole? I heard about it online, tried it, and really like the sound and feel that comes from playing the Tacoma right at the end of the fretboard.

4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I also heard and tried that, but I like the sound I get from playing over the pickgaurd.

Besides, I play their five string, and to reach to a G from the sound hole is kinda tough.

On an side note, what is the size of your neck?
    Mine (5 string) perfectly matches my Warmoth P-sized neck. Despite the seemingly narrow spacing its really comfortable to play. Is yours similar?

Peace
    Nick

5. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    It's a little wider than the J necks I'm used to, but very comfortable. It feels thin to me, which is fine!

6. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

Ok..I play ABGs almost exclusively...and exclusively for my solo work. Granted they are Godin A4 Fretted and A5 fretless (four and five string respectively) so I don't encounter any of your soundhole problems. My advice on right hand placement....use the floating thumb technique: rest your thumb on the string either one or two strings away from the string you are playing. "Float" this position as move from string to string. For 5 string players, this also helps mute those unwanted low freq vibes.
    Mostly I play fingerstyle, either traditional (or in my case semi-traditional: three fingered) or a modified flamenco apoyando technique. I also slap, and tap on ABGs. I also use ebows, "funk-fingers", aligator clips, thumbpicks, and on a rare occaision a flatpick. All these devices and techniques are used for tonal verstaility and enhancement. Variety is the spice of life!
    Max

7. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Mostly I play finger style up by the neck to get a reallt deep fat tone. But sometimes I use a pick with a palm mute technique back by the bridge and it sound really cool.

8. tard85

tard85

May 5, 2002
    It's a pick all the way for me. I'm mainly a heavy/thrash metal player, so in order for me to keep up with the speed I need to use a pick. It's just easier for me that way.

9. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    On an ABG?!?

10. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I played my first gid with my Tacoma ABG, and I used a thumb pick.

Ive been using them for about 2 years on electric for those times where I wanted to get a sharp pick sound and softer fingered sound in different parts of the song, or songs where I play eigth notes the entire song to keep me from stopping because im tired.

I think they're really for banjo, but theyre great.

I worked out great, especially since we were miked (It was about 100 people) and I didnt need to worry about how hard or soft I played as much as usual.

Peace
    Nick