ABG Owners: Post your action height...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by HeavyDuty, Apr 26, 2002.

1. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Unlike acoustic guitars, there don't seem to be any commonly held standards for ABG setup.

Tacoma just confirmed neck setup specs for my new Thunderchief (3.5mm bass side, 3mm treble, capoed first and last frets), but said action height was "personal preference".

What is your (measured) action height, and at what fret? Are you happy with the playability at that height?
  2. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

I set my action on my Godin fretted A4 and fretless A5 quite low. I use TI Acousticore strings and go for the lowest I can get with without buzzing...it measures out just a hair over 3/32 at the 12th fret.
    I believe the fretless is lower.
    I play with a very light touch...and amplify all my ABGs.
  3. stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    good idea! this would be fun to compare. unfortunately, i'm at work and i'm leaving on a mini vacation as soon as i get off. i'll post mine early next week.

4. stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    doh! i'm an idiot. i just now realized what "abg" stood for. i'm a fender jazz bass player so i guess this wasn't meant for me.

5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    My Tacoma has pretty darn high action. I don't think it can get much lower without hampering the ability to seriously "dig in" when I want. The control of dymanics on this bass is one of the things I like about it so I don't mind the high action.:oops:
  6. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    When I had my AB-20 fretless, the action was WAY high. At the 12th fret, it had to be at least half an inch. Again, this was all for volume's sake!

Needless to say, trying to play upright wasn't that big a deal after that!