ABG Questions?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FritzM, May 29, 2002.

1. FritzM

FritzM Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2001
    Madison, MS
    I'm looking for a full ABG (not Godin, Ren, or Rob Allen) that has a really good, transparent and acoustic Amplified sound. Which one(s) sound the same amplified as they sound acoustically? Don't say Upright, because I play URB and still have to amplify it at any and every gig.
    Also, which ones are less prone to feedback (i.e. have the best piezo systems and EQ).

I've tried:
    Taylor AB-1 (good amplified sound)
    Tacoma (good acoustically, don't know amplified, has different piezo packages)
    Martin B1 (good tone acoustically, no electronics)
    Epiphone El Capitan (weak acoustically)

Any others I should try? Please enlighten me!

2. BassFelt

Mar 26, 2002
    I love my Takamine B10.

It can be played horizontally, or vertically on the pin that is supplied. Acoustically it sounds nice, not really loud but I've never heard a loud acoustic bass guitar. The neck has halfway between an electrics' and and uprights' shape. Scale 34". Mine has an older type of preamp than on the picture but it sounds great acoustically. I get a lot of compliments on the sound from both fellow musicians and listeners. It doesn't have all the depth of an upright but it's a very organic sound with good definition.

Go here for a sound sample:

3. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I've played that Takamine at a local shop and -almost- fell in love with it. Great bass. Great sound electric. It's more of an upright than a guitar though, despite the look. The neck is upright all the way as is the construction (look at the bridge and tailpiece). Almost silent acoustically, at least compared to the Tacoma. Worth a look if you're used to upright. You may fall in love with it like I almost did.

Fritz, the Tacoma, at least the one with the most expensive preamp / pickup package which is the Fishman Prefix Plus preamp, sounds frickin' great plugged in, very much like the acoustic tone. The Prefix Plus has a notch knob that works great to eliminate feedback. I use mine that way all the time. It is the ABG. It's the Peavey Cirrus of ABGs, easily outperforming models that cost two or three times the price.