Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ABG Stringing

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by gypsygeek, Jan 29, 2006.

1. gypsygeek

gypsygeek

Jan 29, 2006
    Hi all,

I just picked up an Alvarez ABG, and proceeded to immediately pull the bronzes it came with off so I could set it up with a set of Fender tapewounds. Problem is, the tapewounds are so much bigger (esp the E - .110), the ball end won't snug up against the bottom of the bridge plate like it would on an acoustic guitar.

Has anyone experienced this problem? If so, how'd you solve it? I'm a little worried about the ball end dangling free and vibrating against the shaft of the pin.

Thanks!
    P

2. didier

didier

Aug 4, 2005
    NC
    Do you know the gauge of the strings you pulled off?

I don't know the answer to your question, but I think that 110 is pretty hefty for an abg, and if your bass was set up for much lighter strings you're probably going to have other problems if you solve this one.

3. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    Yeah. I don't think it would be a very good idea to put those huge strings on an ABG. I would try some nickel roundwounds or even a set of flats, but try to keep them as close to the gauges of the stock strings as possible. The only issue with flats is the potentially higher tension, even within the same gauges as the stock rounds. You may have to tune your bass low to compensate. Good luck.

4. gypsygeek

gypsygeek

Jan 29, 2006
    Well, I spoke w/ Alvarez today, and they too advised against going that heavy. I guess what got me started were the numerous other threads about folks using tapewounds on their ABG, so I presumed I could do the same. Oh, well - I picked up a set of 9050s, we'll see how they do.

Thanks,
    P

5. gypsygeek

gypsygeek

Jan 29, 2006
    Any recommendations on light gauge tapewounds? The only ones I can find around here are the Fenders (.110).

TIA!