ABG w/ loose truss rod?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by jondog, Aug 2, 2005.

1. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I bought a JB Player ABG off of ebay and it arrived today. It's nicer than I expected, BUT, I can't get enough relief in the neck to let me dig in w/out buzz because the truss rod appears to be loosened all the way. It moves very easily and appears to have no effect on relief. What would you do?

- Attempt to return it (ebay seller offered no warrantee, but does have 99.6 rating so is probably a decent co.)
    - Find the highest tension strings possible and hope they pull some relief into the neck
    - Take it to a pro and have them try to fix it
    - ?

Right now the playability is close, I really don't need all that much more relief. Thanks in advance for your advice.
  2. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    It's not a music store, it's a pawn shop, but yes I'll try emailing.
  3. dave251

dave251 Wendler Instruments

Feb 5, 2004
    Lawrence, KS
    Is there any relief in the neck at all? Or is it backbowed?

Many modern truss rods act in both directions...be sure you back it off until you KNOW it's completely loose...a couple of complete turns...if it starts to get tight then the neck should start to underbow.

Also, if there's just a touch of relief...try raising the action; use a consistently thick shim to start(for example, cut them from an old credit card) , until you get the height you need by stacking them up under the saddle. Once it's there, then have a new saddle made at that height.

You may also want to check for high or loose frets too....a fret dress can help tremendously with this problem.
  4. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    The seller replied w/ advice about right hand technique, *not* what I wanted to hear, I know how to play. I re-explained the truss problem and have not heard back yet.

Good idea on the dual action truss rod Dave, but no go. It's still loose after several complete turns. Right now there is no relief, it's perfectly flat. The frets are good, I tested w/ a metal straight edge. Raising the action at the bridge is a bit beyond what I want to do myself. If it was an electric bass, no problem but on an acoustic I just have no experience w/ those saddles.