Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ABG w/ REAL playability

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Classical_Thump, Nov 12, 2005.

1. Classical_Thump

Classical_Thump

Jan 26, 2005
    I am interested in finding an acoustic bass guitar that can fit my needs. First off, I currently own a Michael Kelly Fretless Firefly, but it is just too bulky to have good playability, the sound is not loud enough without an amp, and plugged in the electronics aren't very good. So, I was looking for an acoustic bass that has a playability somewhat near or equal to an electric bass, which can also have great tone both unplugged and plugged in. I am looking to do some Jonas Hellborg type stuff, but also just to play around with and practice on. Thanks

2. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Just one thing - First you complain the the volume isn't enough, and then what you're looking for is better tone? I was about to say maybe the Tacoma Thunderchief, but thats definately one of the bigger ones.

Have fun trying to find a small one thats loud though...

3. Classical_Thump

Classical_Thump

Jan 26, 2005
    Well, I would like some more volume while unplugged, but I would rather have a better tone while plugged in than volume unplugged.

4. snappydad

snappydad

Nov 7, 2005
    The Taylor AB acoustic basses fit that description. They are by no means small but are well designed and very comfortable to play, especially when standing. My bass sounded great plugged or not and played like an electric for sure. I had an AB2, (all Imbuia wood), and could even slap on it the action was so fine. Very comfortable in the hands and the Fishman electronics were simple, (two knobs: volume and stacked treble/bass), and effective. I'd check one of those out if you can. They show up used sometimes. Good luck!

5. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Those Turners are awesome hollowbodys with excellent playability. :bassist:

6. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

+1. There's only so much a luthier can do to bend the laws of physics.

That being said, I've found that my Godin A4 is almost as loud as my Tacoma Thunderchief, yet it's pretty much the same size as an electric bass. Plugged-in tone is incredible. I'd strongly suggest having a look at the Godins. They have a very playable neck (more similar to a Jazz bass than to a typical ABG), small and comfortable body, and a surprising amount of volume from such a small package. They're pretty resistant to feedback, as well.

7. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Warwick Alien acoustic:

[​IMG]

Crafter BA400: I have this bass and it sounds great with Thomastik acousticore strings.
    [​IMG]

8. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    I played one of those Crafters the other day. Nice basses, but not for me. I think a Fender Victor Bailey Signature ABG is what you're looking for. They feel and sound fantastic. As with all Fenders though, QC is a joke, so it's best to try before you buy. Good luck.