1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ABG - which battery amp for porch playing

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by don21480, Feb 14, 2013.

1. don21480

don21480

Mar 17, 2006
    NC
    So I got a Fender BG-29, had it setup with a new bone nut and a new saddle, installed tapewounds and I'm ready to sit on the porch this spring with a couple of acoustic guitars and enjoy life. So, clearly an amp is needed - whats the best option for battery powered playing? Not trying to shake the rafters with low end, just trying to be heard with a couple of acoustic players.

2. I have a Pignose Hog 30 Bass amp, and a Roland Mobile Cube. They are both OK, but not great, however, if you feed them with a Tech 21 NYC Sans Amp, they both sound awesome.

I have a Fernandes Nomad Travel Bass that has a Piezo and a Godin A4 Ultra with a Pieso and Lace Sensor. They sound better through the Roland, but the Pignose is louder. The Stingray, and the Ibanez (Active pickups) sound better through the Pignose.

There may be better options out there, but that's what I have. If you're anywhere close to Southeast Mass, you're welcome to come try them both.

3. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    You can’t get some electricity to your porch?

4. don21480

don21480

Mar 17, 2006
    NC
    thats a hypothetical situation - just trying to find a decent battery powered amp

5. vickde

vickde

Jul 23, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Roland Micro Cube Bass RX. Pricey (compared to the Hog30) but runs forever off 6 AA cells. Loud enough to get over a couple of acoustic guitars and vocals. Pretty decent modelling; built-in rhythm box; DSP effects. I had the Hog, but as infrequently as I played it, keeping the lead-acid battery alive was a PITA.

6. Matthijs

Matthijs

Jul 3, 2006
    Amsterdam
    I'm not being very helpfull, but I couldn't help thinking of this song:

7. Etienned

Etienned

Jul 16, 2010
    Montréal
    The PJB Briefcase is a great battery powered amp (can also run on a car lighter output adaptor), but I would invest in an extension cord for porch playing. Way easier and more nature friendly IMHO.

8. That PBJ looks like an awesome amp! Do you have one? I'll swap you even for my Pignose Hogg 30! I'll even pay shipping!

I see that the battery doesn't come with the PBJ. Do you know ho much it is, and how long it lasts?

9. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

I had the Pignose and it eventually stopped recharging. Yeah, you can buy new batteries but that will cost you as much as the amp. It worked great for the time it worked (a couple years). A full charge would last a solid 8 hours or more.