Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ABG's....need some opinions!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by soonershane, Feb 22, 2005.

1. soonershane

soonershane

Jan 21, 2005
    Oklahoma
    Well, I already know that this is the place for opinions, so I thought that I would ask! Seriously, this is a great place to get some good insight on different products. I am wanting to get an acoustic bass, not an upright or a fretless. I do love those, they just wouldn't fit for the need if you know what I mean. Anyway, I know that the Tacoma Thunderchief is a great ABG, but I don't want to spend much money because it won't be used that often. I am thinking about the Epiphone El Capitan because of the giant body size and some other reviews that I have read. Any thoughts on this or other ABG's? Thanks guys!!

2. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

I just received a Michael Kelly 5-string acoustic yesterday. I was surprised at the level of fit and finish they give you for $500. It came with a Fishman pickup and Fishman Classic 4 pre amp. The pearl and abiloni (spelling?) inlays on the fret board are nothing short of gorgeous as is the quilted maple on the body. The bass came pretty close to a perfect setup with the exception of some slight frett buzz on the low B and E string on the #1 and #2 frets. A twist of the ole truss should fixed this. I was expecting a little more acoustic volume out of it because of it having such a large, deep (about 5" deep) body. It's not that it's real low, I just expected it to be a little louder.

It realy sounds great plugged in and I found the EQ to be extremely versatile. Overall, I am very please with the purchase. It really is hard to believe that you can get a bass of this level of quality for about $500! I'm now selling my old trusty 4 string after getting this 5 stringer...
    [​IMG]

3. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

i have a Michael Kelly for sale in the classifieds if you were interested.