1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Abide with me

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by Anon2962, Apr 13, 2006.

1. Anon2962

Anon2962

Aug 4, 2004
    Hi folks. Feel free to check out this piano/bass duo. Not to happy with the bowed sound at the start, and i don't like what i did at the very end, but some of it was nice i think. The piano player's fantastic - Miikka Kallio is his name.

Comments and criticisms more than welcome!

www.audiostreet.net/conormaccarthy

EDIT: the profile etc looks weird on the site because i planned to record the koussevitski concerto (in my apartment), so just ignore it!).

2. Cool, Conor.
    I like the bowed sound, I listened this trough my headset, and it´s nice and chocolate-like. Did you have the Velvets on when you recorded this?
    BTW, this hymn is also common around here. Nice reharm. Beautiful work. Thanks for sharing this with us!

R2

edit: typos, as usual

3. Anon2962

Anon2962

Aug 4, 2004
    Thanks Arto! Yeah that's the velvets alright - I should have asked to have a mic placed a little further from the bass, the bowed sound is from those strings is much nicer than came across here. Hopefully I'll get around to recording the Koussevitski today with a mic placed further away. Be interesting to compare. Also the reharm is 99% the work of Miikka.

4. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Sounds great Conor. Someday I hope to sound that good with a bow. I see what you mean about wanting a more mellow bowed sound, but i think that's just a proximity issue like you said. What you might try next time you have to play arco and pizz on the same recording is either using two mics (one for the bow, one for pizz), or physically leaning/moving away from the mic while bowing and leaning in during the pizz. The pizz sound is very nice, and would have been weakened by the greater mic distance. Good stuff!

5. TheJimster

TheJimster

Feb 21, 2006
    Pensacola, FL
    That was pretty cool man! I liked the sound!

6. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Dude, that was beautiful...

7. Anon2962

Anon2962

Aug 4, 2004
    Thanks for the compliments. I'm really not a jazz player, but i enjoy listening and playing jazz stuff, for sure.

8. Stan Haskins

Stan Haskins

Nov 17, 2005
    NY and Miami
    I think this is a great arco sound - very expressive and fits the style of the melody very well.
    Lot of people working on hymns these days, huh?

9. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Sounds great! I'm looking forward to more.

Oh -- Tell Sanni Orasmaa I say, "Hey".