Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ABM Brass Nut on Warwick?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by BassManPatsFan, Feb 21, 2006.

1. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    Hey guys, I was browsing through www.basspartsresource.com earlier and I stumbled upon this http://www.basspartsresource.com/bass_nutsaft.htm (bottom right corner) nut. It says that it is the Brass adjust-a-nut that used to be standard on warwick basses, so I was gonna order one for my Corvette Std., but it also says that the width at the nut measures 1 9/16, whereas my bass' nut is 1.5 inches wide. I was wondering, first of all, is this a problem? Will it fit on my bass without any modification? Secondly, does anyone have any experience with this specific nut from bass parts resource? The price ain't too shabby and I was gonna order some other stuff from them anyways, so I figured I'd ask you all before I order.
    Thank you

-Alex
    p.s. sorry if this is the wrong forum, mods- move it if necessary

2. BassManPatsFan

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    Bump- moved to setup, thanks mods!

3. BassManPatsFan

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    Does anyone know if this would work?

Please? :hyper:

-Alex

4. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I have a similar one (though probably not ABM - didn't know they make these, too, or else I would've ordered it alongside teh bridge) on my new 6. It works, though when you get the desired height, not much adjusting is necessary further on. Not very complicated, either; just some screws with filed tops in a brass bar...
    As for your case... hmm... 1/16" difference? Maybe file a bit off the sides, if you go with these. There are more availalbe, so check around (like here there are 38 and 40 for 4string):
    http://www.musik-produktiv.de/shop2/shop03.asp/sid/!18121995/ob_id/712/seite/2/nur_lieferbare/nein

5. i inquired with the warwick techs some time ago about this same thing. apparently, the brass nut is also a tad wider (front to back) so a slight honing of the existing nut slot is necessary. i've had both the brass and graphite nuts on warwicks, and really didn't hear any difference. i prefer the adjustability of the graphite nut over the adjustable brass nut. good luck.