1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ABM bridge adjustments

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bennybass, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Can anyone help me with an ABM bridge adjustment on a tobias bass. I need to raise the action - its too low for me and there's too much buzzing - the ABM bridge has so many different options of how to adjust - can any give a step by step of which screws/parts of the bridge is best to adjust first for the string (move string holster back, or just raise the string holster, etc) and then so on???
    Thank you:eyebrow:

2. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Two things first: loosen the hex / locking screws on the front of the brass string saddle and just behind the brass saddle. The first allows the graphite saddle height adjustment and lateral movement for string centering / spacing. The second allows the entire saddle to slide back and forth for intonation. The rest should come easily but if it doesn't, let us know.

Riis

3. thanks so much - I understand now how this bridge works!
    Ok but now - the buzzes are still there - I have raised graphite saddle height and slid the entire saddle both towards head and away and cannot find a nice position for the saddle to be in with getting a buzz - mainly around 5th fret??? :mad:

4. MyUsernameHere

MyUsernameHere ?????????????

Nov 3, 2007
    Lexington KY
    Buzz at or around the fifth fret (and no where else) is usually caused by the neck not having enough relief (being too flat). The strings need more room to vibrate at their center point than they do at their ends, which is why you need at least some forward flex in the neck--it allows for enough space where the string's movement is the greatest while still allowing for low action. Go to the sticky section on this forum and look through the links for setting up a bass. They explain how to adjust your truss, how much relief your neck should have as well as bridge adjustments.

5. thank you very much!!!:bassist:

6. ps - must say that the Gary Willis tutorial was fantastic - just letting the neck settle but basically there with getting the buzz outta the 5th fret - absolutely amazing - thank you:hyper:

7. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Congrats...you just saved yourself ~$40. The set-ups get to be kind of fun after a while.

Riis