Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ABM EVO 500 enough?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hetsscaryguy, Mar 27, 2005.

1. hetsscaryguy

hetsscaryguy

May 22, 2004
    Ireland
    well what do you guys think, is an ABM 500 EVO II Ashdown enough power with 4x10 and 1x15 cabs to compete with a guitarist with a 100 watt half stack and a semi-loud drummer? im thinking mag cabs for your info.

2. Yes, undoubtedly. :) :)

3. hetsscaryguy

hetsscaryguy

May 22, 2004
    Ireland
    cool. thanks man

4. Th9nker

Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002
    Damn, I hope so....

By the way, Maybe you guys shouldn't be "competing", you are playing in the same band right? :p

5. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Without ANY Doubt. That 575W at 4 ohms is RMS meaning it will pump out around 900 W Peak. Then you benefit from the coupling of two cabs together? WOW. That rig will SMOKE! I own an Ashdown ABM500 EVO. So I know a little about how well it performs.

6. hetsscaryguy

hetsscaryguy

May 22, 2004
    Ireland
    sweet guys thanks, i mean the good kin of competing, the one that makes you play better of course. not the kind that makes you grab your bass and smash it through your guitarists rig, although sometimes it does come to that.

7. Bigwan

Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    Easily...

I've gigged with mine through 2 1x15 homemade cabs vs. 2 marshall halfstacks and VERY loud drummer... and been asked to turn down...

8. I use the EVO 500 with a compact 15 and 2x10 and it's more than loud enough, even with two guitar heros with 100watt Marshall stacks who won't turn down

9. hetsscaryguy

hetsscaryguy

May 22, 2004
    Ireland
    well this is great news, coz all ive heard up to now on this forum is that a bassist must have at least 4 times the guitars put together. so thanks all for the reassurance. im thinkin now maybe 1x15 and 4x10 avatars coz ill be shipping a new bass and a drum expansion set aswell so it will all work out grand. sweet.

10. jazz567

jazz567

Nov 23, 2004
    I use an ABM300 and it is plently loud enough with a pair of BagEnd 15's.. and we play Loud!

11. Th9nker

Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002
    I sometimes use mine at practice with just a single 1x15 8ohm cab... so I'm not even getting all of the power out of the amp.... This is with two Marshall half stacks...

We don't get too loud at practice though... there is no reason to...

On a side note, one thing that I have noticed with Marshall Stack players it that they sometimes turn the bass up WAY too much on their amps just 'cause they can...

They need to stay the hell out of MY frequency!!!

12. What a great rig - sounds similar to mine!

I run an Ashdown ABM 500 head, with a Sovtek 4x10 and a Hartke 115 - both cabs 8ohm, so it cuts it down to the 4ohm load of the head. I play in a band with two electric guitars, a loud drummer and very loud keyboard player and have never had to turn my imput or output volume above 12. Its good knowing that I could own the stage by just boosting the volume a tad, but I dont do it, to keep my bandmates on side. So to answer your question, it is plenty enough.

One thing I find is that I have a much better clarity of sound through my rig if I am minimum six to eight feet in front of it - going any closer seems to blur the notes a bit, for some reason.

13. hetsscaryguy

hetsscaryguy

May 22, 2004
    Ireland
    cool. yeah its definately looking good for the ashdown right now. one more question, does a footswitch come with the amp or do oyu have to buy one seperately?

14. Th9nker

Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002
    It doesn't come with one...

There are two 1/4" footswitch jacks, each one controls two functions: Grind/Sub-Harmonizer and EQ/Shape... I think...

Ashdown makes a one-button and a two-button...

I think that they are about to introduce a four-button one...

15. Yeah exactly.

16. Definitely get two of the two-button switches to control the footswitchable functions. IMO they are what makes the ABM so versitile, or at least what allows you to achieve maximum versitility. :)

17. I play a Peavey Mark 6 head through an ashdown Mag 4 10 in a band with a loud drummer, two guitarists, a keyboard player, and lots of vocal harmony, and i hold my own sonically, you dont' need to worry(given we're not a really loud band, but really, you should be fine)