Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ABM headless hardware info?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Schizoid75, May 10, 2005.

1. Schizoid75

Schizoid75

Apr 27, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Hey, TB'ers. Anyone out there have any experience with ABM's headless hardware? I'd really like to find out what sort of string spacing their 5-string version will allow. I'll take any info I can get, however.

Is it brass? Aluminum? Weight? Does the headstock cap part double as a nut? If so, is the height adjustable? I can't seem to find any official info and most of the sites that sell the stuff have no information about it.

Thanks for all the help!

Sean

www.stampedeband.net

2. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    I have a 5 string one that I bought and haven't used yet.

I beleive it's brass (too heavy for al and non-magnetic), reasonably heavy but not stupidly so. The neck will need a zero fret, and then the srting clamp bolts on to the end of the neck. No height adjustment on the nut, a la Alembic. There is height adjustment at the bridge. String spacing I don't recall, and it's still packed away from the last house move in a box, somehere........ If I find it anytime soon, I'll measure it for you. Nut width is 48mm according to the catalogue.

3. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    The ABM website says that they'll make their products in brass, steel or aluminum. It also says, BTW, that they'll customize the living crap out of their products to make you happy (OK perhaps that was a slight re-phrasing but you get the idea).
    Perhaps the single-string headless bridge will suit your needs? Status uses them on many of their models, I've seen.

Disclaimer: I don't have any experience with their products at all.

4. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    I once asked for aluminium for the headless stuff and they tols me they'd do it only if I ordered 20 or 30 pieces.

:(

5. Guest_Deleted

Guest_Deleted Guest

Jul 26, 2006
    I have had an ABM black headless bridge on my Klein KX-bass replica for over a year now. It's very sturdy built but here are the few caveats:

1. The string spacers that you can adjust ain't enough for having a stock Steinberger neck on. I have a Moses neck. From frets 12-24 the outmost strings are just a tiiiny bit too out. Not enough to fret outside the fretboard, but enough for you to notice. Regardless of how much inwards you have turned the string spacing, you can't get Steinberger stock neck string spacing.

2. After a while, my low E-strings started to cause something to rattle so I had to open the bridge up to check what it was.
    The tiny screw that held down the individual bridge for the e-string had lost it's grip on a ring, used to hold it in place once youv'e set intonation. The threads had worn off on the screw so it didn't matter how much you tried with a screwdriver. Leaving the ring loose to rattle whenever I hit the E-string. So I changed that one. MIND YOU! ABM's german made so it's millimeters and centimeters, not inches.

3. When looking at the back at the tuner knobs it seems that the screws that keeps them in place are not tightened. But it should be that way, it's inherent in the design otherwise the ball end retainers can't move. They "peek out" from the knobs, giving you an impression of that they have not been screwed in enough. But when you try you feel that there's no more turns to turn, they're already in the bottom. However, this is aestethic only, but it looks peculiar. It is due to different tunings on different strings, so the heads of the screws look like theres a gap.

4. Not really enough intonation space on some strings used with double ball end strings. I had to turn these individual string bridges around to move the roller even more back. The bridge is two part and you just can't have the part that's holding the ball end to far back otherwise you wont be able to use hand force to seat the ball end properly. The 24th fret on G-string's still a bit too sharp.
    However, when using ordinary single ball end strings, one can move everything a notch back, since it's not important where the other end of strings end up in.

I would go for the individual ones. I think those Status are offering are actually OEM'd by ABM. Status and ABM seems to be the same. ADM is different from ETS though, but not by much IMHO.

That's why I am on this forum, to find out if there's anyone else that has noticed this. So far, I am alone it seems.

/Mats