Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ABM or Hipshot?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jacochops, Mar 2, 2002.

1. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    Do you guys like ABM or Hipshot? I've had custom basses with both. I'm having 2 made right now, and I'm either gonna listen to the masses, or toss a coin!
    Whaddya like?:D

2. You mean like the masses of the bridges (haha, I so punny)? Bridge mass is indeed important! :)

All joking aside, I like ABM a bit more.

3. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    ABM! No contest whatsoever.

4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yep, abm is THE bridge to have, no question.

5. Another ABM vote...

Jeff

6. Had both - prefer ABM.

I'm not real impressed with Hipshot's plating quality. My 55-94 was built in April 1997 and the bridge is starting to pit and the tuner keys are discoloring - both are OEM Hipshot products.

They work pretty well but I hope their quality control has improved somewhat.

allan

7. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    interesting thread - since i just ordered a Hipshot style a bridge on my MTD 635- ( he uses a style B bridge usually) - now im wondering why ABM got 100% of the votes here.. and if i shouldve gone with that... anyone care to comment on the advantages of the ABM?

8. lesfleanut

lesfleanut Guest

Sep 25, 2001
    Syracuse N.Y.
    Does abm have a webpage?

9. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I like the ABM b/c I think they have great construction. I've never had a problem w/ any of my ABM bridges. I also think the added mass helps. Finally I think the adjustable string spacing is a nice feature.
    I don't think there is anything particularly wrong with hipshot, ABM is just my favorite.

10. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    all my conklins but one have abm bridges. they are pretty massive, have good quality plating, and hold up well to the elements.

11. ABM just as good as any other over engineered German marvels, but I like Gotoh bridge too though.

12. Adrian,
    Someone else correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm PRETTY sure that ABM bridges are brass and Hipshots are aluminum. I like the top loading design of Hipshots but I've only had Schaller (spelling?) and Fodera's both of which are brass bridges and both of which I've liked. Actually whatever Pedulla used in '92 (brass also) is a great bridge. (Its on loan so I can't look...) Anyway, brass for me.

P.S. I used to have a bad ass bridge and although I'm in the minority I didn't like its sound/sustain. Hope this is helpful even if a bit rambling......

13. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    Hi, Jim-
    well , Hipshot offers both brass an aluminum, i know that much- also, the bridge on my Fodera, though it says Fodera, is made by Hipshot- i learned this at NAMM-

14. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I've had zero issues with several Hipshot bridges (and tuning machines). They all still look like new and are stable as heck.

15. Brad said...

I've had zero issues with several Hipshot bridges (and tuning machines). They all still look like new and are stable as heck.

Maybe the person who owned the Lakland before me kept it in a room full of toxic waste or something - anyway I'm getting ready to replace the bridge and tuners. They're stable and you have to get right on top of them to see any pitting but it's there. Here's a pic -

[​IMG]

Dan tells me that my bass was built right at the point where they changed bridge design - and had me send a photo of my bridge to insure he had the right one. I guess newer Lakland bridges have a shightly smaller footprint. I'm still not sure which one I have.

Anyway, now that NAMM's over and maybe things are settling down a bit I can get this taken care of.

later -

allan

16. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    That does look pretty rough, Allan. Was it like that when you got it second hand?

Care and handling and environment can play a big part in how well hardware holds up. It looks like your bridge has been rubbed through in one spot. I've had my 55-94 Limited for a while now, it has gold hardware and it still looks brand new.

This got me thinking and I checked the rest of my basses. I've seen MTD and Tobias bridges where the finish is worn through. No wear on any of mine, quite the contrary... the HW looks like new. The same is true for all of my Jazzes, the Zon, even the 1980 G&L which had seen it's share of abuse from it's previous owner(s) has HW that is in very nice condition. I'm sure everyone has seen older Fenders with crappy looking HW... my 68 and 78 Jazzes have no pitting. IMO if it were truly a HW problem they'd all be pitted.

IME if you keep the instrument in a decent climate, don't expose it to the elements and wipe it off regularly it stands a much better chance. I'm sure there is cheaper HW that fails on it's own, I just haven't owned anythting like that.

17. Brad said...

That does look pretty rough, Allan. Was it like that when you got it second hand?

Yep. I've had the bass for less than six months.

Care and handling and environment can play a big part in how well hardware holds up. It looks like your bridge has been rubbed through in one spot. I've had my 55-94 Limited for a while now, it has gold hardware and it still looks brand new.

This got me thinking and I checked the rest of my basses. I've seen MTD and Tobias bridges where the finish is worn through. No wear on any of mine, quite the contrary... the HW looks like new. The same is true for all of my Jazzes, the Zon, even the 1980 G&L which had seen it's share of abuse from it's previous owner(s) has HW that is in very nice condition. I'm sure everyone has seen older Fenders with crappy looking HW... my 68 and 78 Jazzes have no pitting. IMO if it were truly a HW problem they'd all be pitted.

IME if you keep the instrument in a decent climate, don't expose it to the elements and wipe it off regularly it stands a much better chance. I'm sure there is cheaper HW that fails on it's own, I just haven't owned anythting like that.

Me neither - up until now. I take pretty good care of my equipment and I think what I'll end up doing is just replacing the bridge and tuners and chalking it up to experience. I got the Lakland at a pretty good price, Dan says a new bridge is $90 and I've got a line on a new set of Ultralites. The body's in great shape and I think if I get the sparkly bits up to snuff things will be just fine.

You might be right - it could be a maintenance problem, not a hardware problem. If that's the case replacing the hardware will solve that problem - I've got a bit too much invested in the hardware to let it fall apart.

allan

18. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    Hey, guys...
    I love the look and flat-out quality of the ABM stuff, but I love how transient aluminum sounds. I've had three Elricks, all with Hipshot aluminum bridges, and they all had the same open quality. I've also had Laklands that I've liked, but I'd love to get the same kind of openess on my two new customs. I really want to stay away from that Badass bridge sound. Too harsh and strerile for my ears. Has anyone found that quality of sound in the ABM stuff? I know it's gorgeous, but does it have a brighter tone quality? I know it's brass, not steel....what're your thoughts? John Turner, I know Conklins come with the ABM stuff...any comments on the tone?

19. Adrian-me again...

I would definitely choose the brass Hipshot then-if it were me. Of course it's subjective.

Gary Willis explained to me once, that aluminum was his preference when he designed his Ibanez sig. model, because the heavier mass and sustain of heavy brass bridges only benefits the top end and kills the bottom.

Well, I have an Ibanez 6 (forgot to mention my one aluminum bridge_ and I immediately missed a brass/heavier bridge. I can most definitely hear a vast difference. To my ears (geez-hate to dispute Gary but...) I think a heavy brass bridge most certainly DOES make for a better bottom in most cases. I've repeatedly had this impression in the stores too. I have pretty good ears as I work as a record producer and mixer part time

Well, it's not too big a deal for you, regarding your new MTD as you could always replace or exchange the bridges as I would presume the screw holes between the two Hipshots would match up?

As a pretty safe rule of thumb, I'd say if all of your previous bridges have been brass and you've liked them, go with the brass first. Try em at the store if you can. If you live near salt (water) air aluminum can pit.

I don't know why the Badass didn't do it for me at ALL.
    That one DOES seem to be too heavy and kill's bottom for my taste. Marcus and Will like 'em on their Fenders/Sadowskys so....?

Fodera also usually used brass but occasionally aluminum. I wonder what I've got? Tapping, it "seems" to be brass (it's black) but whatever it is it sounds great. I'll email them eventually with the Serial # and ask.

Good luck. Let us know what you choose. Jim T.