Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ABM Single String Bridge Information Please.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by tonrutoo, Jul 27, 2004.

1. tonrutoo

tonrutoo

Apr 18, 2003
    Hello.
    I'd like to know as much as you guys can offer concerning ABM single string bridges.
    Are they made of brass?
    Are they hard to work with?
    Overrated,or a flawless solution to string alignment?
    I did a search here,and all the links I explored wouldn't get me past a reference page:"Click here for hompage".I'd phone,but I can't speak German.The Germans I know don't understand bass.
    Thank you for your help.

2. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Rut Roh, someone delete this quick,, before JMX finds it!

3. tonrutoo

tonrutoo

Apr 18, 2003
    Why?
    Am I going to get the"tuning fork bridge"suggestion or was my search flawed?

4. tonrutoo

tonrutoo

Apr 18, 2003
    OH!
    I mean the Germans I know and drink with,veterinarian,and tobacconist.No offense to the online musicians,and luthiers.
    BTW-I own a beautifull pipe carved by my tobacconist.Apparently,she has an example in a French"pipe hall of fame".

5. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    JP should have an opinion here!
    What urls have you tried? It seems to me that there was a way around that entry page.

6. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    To my understanding, ABM are not much of an Internet company... They have been annoucing their home page "coming soon" since at least Y2K.
    However, they speek english. In the usual german way, of course, but quite understandable. And they have a nice paper catalog, thiugh not fully detailed.

Some, not too initiated answers to your questions:
    Don't know, but they use brass in all other parts.
    Not very. Worse than an ordinary block bridge, sure.
    Well, the string alignment issue is clearly overrated. The main benefit is the freedom in string spacing.

7. Woodboy

Woodboy

Jun 9, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    I used some in a P-style bass I made. I used them mostly because they have locking saddles, are made of brass (except the adjustable saddle), are lightweight, and have a thin "floor", i.e. the part between the body and the saddle. They give me the best of both worlds, light weight and high rigidity. I think it may be a plus to have a separate assembly for each string, but I couldn't prove it. The only real pain is grounding each bridge.

8. tonrutoo

tonrutoo

Apr 18, 2003
    Thanks again everybody.
    The project is a USA Custom:
    Rock maple jazz jr. body with
    -Basslines single coil P-bass QP
    -volume knob(500k pot)
    -side input(Electrosocket)
    -4 ABM single string bridges
    -contoured heel
    Rock maple jazz neck(flat sawn)with
    -a '51 P-bass headstock
    -Gallery Hardwoods impregnated birdseye fingerboard
    -7 1/4-9 1/2"compound radius fingerboard
    -.900"thick,C shape
    -graphite reinforced
    -Hipshot Ultralite tuners
    -20 frets;6000 fret wire size
    *I'm still flip flopping on nut material(Slip-Stone?)and the idea of a zero fret.
    My idea is for a"role player"bass.I plan to string it B,E,A,D with Rotosound Monel flats.It'll be amplified via a Mesa/Boogie Buster! 1x15 combo.
    -Any comments welcome.

9. Woodboy

Woodboy

Jun 9, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    Rock Maple body? Really?

10. tonrutoo

tonrutoo

Apr 18, 2003
    Yeah.
    Though I'm looking to a tone alternative to my Ric I am fond of the feel and presence.This jazz jr. will be even more ergonomic for me.The idea for a slightly smaller body,and contoured heel hit me when I was trying out some Warwick Thumb BO basses.
    I like a set in feel,sort of like an old Enfield military rifle;thus I wanted something on the heavier side.Also,while my hands are small I'd rather have a fuller neck since my right thumb(I play lefty)locks up when fully extended.
    Weight's not the concern,but balance is.I probably spent more time than it's worth figuring out this bass,but things started to come together when it occurred to me that what I need is a"beater".I want something I won't think about playing with abandon;the Ric is just to pretty.
    BTW-Have you ever tried Q-Parts Ringo knobs? I got some for my SG guitar and just love them.

11. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    very cool man, im finishing up a cpl more basses before i try a maple body.

12. M_A_T_T

M_A_T_T

Mar 4, 2004
    Canada
    I used a cheaper, no-name version sold here, though the page displaying them doesn't seem to be working right now. The only things I liked about them was the ability to customize my string spacing, and the look. I found them to be like installing five separate bridges. I, however, found it easy to ground them because they are so close together, I just ran a small wire underneath all five, you can barely see it up close, I even colored it with a marker so it matches the dark finish on the body. I also recommend setting each bridge back about 1/8", maybe, like the way the saddle of an acoustic guitar is angled back, because I wasn't able to properly intonate the bass without having to machine part of the underside of the bass side saddles to get more backward movement, plus I found the saddles to have a limited amount of movement for intonation adjustment to begin with. Here is a pic of the bass I used them on. Not sure if I'd use them again.

[​IMG]

Another thing I liked about the ones I bought was the fact that I got ALL FIVE for the price of ONE ABM at the price Allparts sells the ABM's for.

13. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    If you use a brass nut, you only have to ground one bridge. The circuit is carried through that string, to the nut, then to the other strings.

14. tonrutoo

tonrutoo

Apr 18, 2003
    What about a nickel nut,like those sold at Warmoth?

15. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I'm using the black version of what Lex Luthier used. I'll give my thoughts once the bass is 100% done....waiting a drill press. :-D All cavities are routed, electronics are here/test fitted, neck is done w/exception of tuner holes-bla bla bla-if you want to hear more, check my site. :D I'd like to use the ABM bridges or even a hipshot except-for an early project i'm not willing to spend that much money. Now lightwaves..... ;)

16. tonrutoo

tonrutoo

Apr 18, 2003
    Very cool.
    Thanks for the info Lex Luthier.
    I look forward to your analysis as well Cam McIntyre;you guys are saving me some headaches and I really appreciate the effort.
    I pulled the trigger on the ABM's so I definitely will be checking in to see how things progress.

17. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Or a zero-fret!?

18. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Great thought. That should work just as well. The only exceptions I can think of would be if you were using plastic tape-wound strings, or if you used Elixirs or some other brand of teflon-coated strings, possibly the coating is complete enough to prevent electrical conductivity.

19. I bet it would prevent conduction. I guess you could file your strings a bit where they need to make contact. :scowl:

20. tonrutoo

tonrutoo

Apr 18, 2003
    My first consideration was a vehicle for the strings.Rotosound Monel flats set in a B,E,A,D configuration.