Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fenderx55, Jan 28, 2006.

1. fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    I really really really want an Ashdown. Besides the price and what appears to be cosmetic shortcuts, what's the difference between the ABM and MAG lines? Specifically in the 300watt combo range, would I kick myself for not saving a little longer and going for the gold?

2. adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    im guessing u also get a differnet place of manufacture. china vs. wutever.

i prefer my stuff made in north america, or japan. but thats me.
  3. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Yep, the MAG is made in China and the ABM in England.

English works for me. ;)

Anyways, the MAGs seem to be decent amps. I have tried the MAG 300 head and thought it wasn't bad at all. When I was looking for a backup I almost bought one. The only reason I didn't was I found a QuatraValve instead! :bassist:
  4. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    My MAG300 is a really great head. Excellent choice if you want great tone without having to drop a kidney to pay for it.
  5. pj-mike

Nov 22, 2005
    Bridgewater, MA
    The MAG series is aimed at the semi-pro.
    The ABM series is aimed at the pro.
    The differences are in the tone shaping abilities, durability and construction.
    They are both great values in their price ranges.
    For what it's worth, I love my MAG300 combo.
  6. dvon1981

Jan 12, 2006
    i went an played the mag 300, mag 600 and then an abm 500 all through the same cab today. the abm 500 blew the mag series out of the water in my mind. the tube pre-amp makes a hgue difference. I found the abm to be much louder as well. not the result i wanted. I was really hoping i'd love the mag 600
  7. dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Just wanted to say that the ABM's are put together in UK but the boards are still coming from China
    At least thats what i was told by the Bass centre
    I have both and can only agree with waht has already been said but also add that the MAG and ABM lines are quite a bit different.
    The EQ frequencies are different which gives them different sounds.
    I find my MAG 307 cuts through a live mix better than my ABM head in to the same cab but the ABM has more punch.
    this will change when my 1210 arrives but at the moment i prefer the MAG

8. fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    Yeah that's what I was afraid of lol. Hmmm looks like I'm gonna wait a while longer and go for the tube pre and punch.
  9. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Isnt aBm alwewys beter?
  10. yes

otherwise i wouldn't of spent the extra on one
  11. dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Dont get me wrong, im loving the ABM its just that as its going through the MAG cab its not sounding as good as the MAG amp to me. i guess the cab isnt really up to the low 45hz of the ABM so it sounds slow and i loose certain notes because of it where as the lowest freq on the MAG is 100hz and just seems tighter and its what im used to hearing, not knocking the ABM and would by it again if got lost.
    I have gig for 2 years with the MAG307 C-115 and its never sounded bad or let me down (untill just before christmas when the amp started distorting, thats why i got the ABM)
    The ABM is fantastic if you can afford it but you wont go wrong if you get the MAG

12. dave, your next purchase needs to be a better cab to run that abm baby through for its full potential :)
  13. dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Yep, see above.
    Schroeder 1210 on its way

14. Groovatism

Dec 14, 2005
    My 15-year-old son has been "torturing" his MAG 300H head for the last year-and-a-half and has had no problems whatsoever. I have not compared it to the ABM series, but the MAG seems to be built like a tank. I'm amazed at how quiet it is for it's price range, as most inexpensive amps tend to be on the noisy side. For $300US, I'd say it's hard to beat.